Chapter Nine

SOMEONE SHAKES ME awake. I jolt up from the mountain of pillow that surrounds me, my heart pounding like a fist knocking on a door faster than a flash of lightning. My violet eyes fling wide open, jaw dropped slightly. I suck in huge gulps of air, my eyes flickering back and forth, trying to make sense of my surroundings. I feel a hand on my shoulder, shaking me awake and I think they're calling my name but I can't exactly be sure. Their voices sounded muffled and faint. Distant. 

 "Alexander!" the voice shouts. He sounds worried and slightly panicked. "Alexander! Mon petite lion! Hey, hey! Shh! Calm down! You're okay! You're okay, Alexandre!" 

 My heart slowing down, and my breathing slowing down as well, I look to my right to find my brother Gilbert de Lafayette, standing next to me. Well, he's sitting on the edge of the bed with a hand on my shoulder, but still. Worry fills his hazel brown eyes and now relief that I'm awake. I quickly look around my surroundings. 

I see my desk with my laptop lid up, the screen black. A coffee mug sits on the edge of the desk with papers scattered everywhere and pens and highlighters too. A pencil here and a textbook flipped open there. There's my closet and my dresser with my pajama drawer still pulled out. A pair of clothes lays on the wooden floor and my bedroom door is closed. My lamp on my nightstand is on, despite the bright sunlight shining through my window. I have to wince against the bright sunrays shining through the blinds. I sniff and wipe my freckled cheeks with the heel of my palms. I look down and notice there are tears on my palm. 

 "Laf?" I say, wincing at how croaky I sound and weak I feel. He nods, a relieved smile on his face. He slides his muscular arm around my small, delicate frame and pulls me close to him. "Yes, mon ami. It's me. I was beginning to fear that you might never wake," Lafayette says. I frown. 

"What...what happened?" 

 "You having a nightmare, mon petite lion. I woke up to you screaming and I entered your room to find you crying and tossing and turning. You look like someone tased you or electrocuted you. I tried to wake you but you wouldn't and I was beginning to fear you might not." 

 "Nightmare?" I groan, closing my eyes gently as I press a hand to my temple. I don't remember ever having a nightmare. 

 "Oui," Lafayette confirms. Nodding. He frowns. "Do you not remember what it was?" 

 I shake my head, blinking my eyes open as I stare at my fingers that're in my lap. "No...I-I...What was I screaming about?" 

 Lafayette shrugs, his strong arm still around me. "I don't know. Me, I think. I heard my name." 

 "Oh," I say. "I must have had a dream about you dying from a plane crash or something. That's probably why I was screaming." 

 Lafayette nods with agreement and then frowns again. "You alright, Alexandre?" 

 I nod, wrapping my thin arms around myself and drawing my knees up to my chest. 

 "Yeah," I say. "Now that you're here and I know you're alive." 

 He lets out a soft chuckle, ruffling my russet curls. Lafayette pushes some ruffled bangs out of my violet eyes and presses a soft kiss to my forehead before patting my shoulder and getting himself up of the bed. 

 "Well," he says, "come on, now. Martha's making breakfast and you have school. It's Tuesday!" 

 "I'll be there in a minute," I say.