Chapter Thirty-Eight

THE WEEKEND COMES quicker than I expected. I guess, what they say is true: Time sure does fly. During the remaining days of the week, since the incident with John's father, I've been spending time with John himself both at my house and at his. Other times I'd spend my spare time working, whether that'd be school work wise or writing my novel and spending hours—day and night—working nonstop. George's words of wisdom echoes through my mind and pushes me forward: Time is prominent. 

 It's midafternoon on Saturday when I get a call from Peggy. I currently sit at my desk with a cup of coffee at the edge corner of the desk next to my computer. I have my earbuds in my ears, a hood over my head and my feet propped up against the edge of my chair as I type away on my laptop when my phone vibrates. I frown, glancing at the caller ID and grin when it says: Peggy on the screen. I yank the earbuds from my ears and pause my work and press the ACCEPT button, resting my phone against my phone against my ear and my shoulder and continue typing nonetheless. 

 "Peggy! Hey! What's up?" I say. 

  "Hey, Alex!" Peggy says. "I heard about what happened on John's birthday at the restaurant you two went too." I can feel her frown. "Are you alright?" 

 I smile fondly, my heart melting at the thought of how much she cares for me. I nod, even though she can't see me. "Yeah. I'm fine. Thanks for checking in on me, Pegs." 

  "Of course, Alex!" she chirps. "That's what friends are for, right?"

I let out a short laugh. "Right." 

  "So, the Homecoming dance is tonight," Peggy informs me. "Are you still in?" 

"Of course!" I say. "I think it'd be fun!" "It is fun!" Peggy assures me. A pause. 

 "Though, I'm not much of a dancer..." I mumble shyly mixed with a soft chuckle. 

  "You don't have to be, Alex," she assures me once more. "You can just sit or stand if you want."

I smile softly. "I'll think about it." 

  "So, what're doing now, Alex?" Peggy asks. 

 I shrug. "Oh. Nothing much really. Just waiting for this evening and currently working." 

 "And you have been working," says a voice from behind me. "All day and night. Why don't you take a break, Alexander?" 

 I yelp with surprise and whip my head over my shoulder to spot George standing in the doorway with his arms folded over his chest as he leans against the doorframe. He smiles knowingly and arches an eyebrow. I narrow my eyes at him and give him a warning look in return. 

 "Dad..." I begin but George cuts me off. 

 "I'm serious, Alexander," George says. He steps into my bedroom without my permission and closes the bedroom door behind him, perching himself on the edge of the bed. He locks his gray-blue eyes with my violet ones. He arches an eyebrow challengingly at me, "This...working like this isn't healthy, son. What's going on?"

 I huff out an annoyed sigh. "Sorry, Pegs. I got to go. Dad's being paranoid again."

 George gives me an offended look. "I'm not being paranoid!"