Chapter Twenty-Two

I STAND INSIDE a store at the mall with Angelica, Eliza, and Peggy. We roam the shop for dresses that will fit me, that will match my personality or what we think Laurens would go head over heels for, or at least, that's how Peggy puts it. I sit on the bench with my arms folded over my chest, watching the three teenage girls rummage through the rack of dresses in front of me. Eliza makes an "Ah ha!" noise and yanks off a beautiful, hourglass shaped emerald dress. It looks line one for a ball or a romantic evening dinner. It's dark emerald with clear, light green sleeves and a thumbhole around the palm. It is beautiful I must confess.

 "What about this one?" Eliza asks. "It's flow, smooth, fits your frame perfectly."

 I shrug. Why not? "Alright. I'll give this one a go." 

 I snatch the dress from Eliza and storm off into the fitting rooms. I open a stall door and walk on inside, closing the door behind me gently. I lock it. I slip off my clothes and switch into the dress. I turn and face the mirror behind me, my breath hitches. It's beautiful...absolutely gorgeous. It's definitely made for a ball or a romantic evening dinner. It fits me perfectly. The dress touches the ground, covering my feet. It's simple, no creases in it or anything like that. Just a simple dark emerald green dress that shapes out my narrow waist and my slightly wide hips. 

 I stare at my reflection, stunned. With my hair out of my usual kept ponytail, this is exactly how my mother looked like. It's like I'm staring right back at her in front of me. In the mirror in front of me, she smiles softly. Her dark auburn hair flowing around her shoulders, wearing the same emerald green dress I am and her violet-blue eyes glinting, her light freckles are scattered across her cheeks like mine and she nods at me.

 "Alex!" Angelica calls, startling me from my gaze. She raps her knuckles against the wooden door. I jump, startled, blinking. "You okay in there?"

 I whip my head over towards the mirror, staring at my reflection. I don't see her. Not anymore. It's not her who I look into, it's me. I sigh lightly and turn back towards the closed door. 

 "Yeah," I say. "I'm fine." 

 "You need any help?" Eliza asks. "Is there a zipper you need help with or something?"

 "No, no, I got it on." 

 "Well, come on, now! Let's see!" Peggy says excitingly. 

 I chew on my lip, hesitating. I swallow and then push the door open. The girls gasp. 

 "Well?" I say, smoothing out the lower half of the dress. "What do you think?" 

 "Give it a twirl!" Peggy gasps, her eyes wide. 

 I grin, spinning around in a circle, letting the dress flow around me, my arms spread out on either side as I turn. 

 "Yes! Yes! Yes!" Eliza squeals, clapping her hands and bouncing on the balls of her shoes. "Definitely! Definitely the one!" 

 "John is going to lose his shit when he sees you, Alex," Angelica snickers, her arms over her chest, a smudge look on her face. I let out a giggle, looking back down at the dress and spin around again. 

 "I like this one," I say immediately. "I like this one!" 

 "We got one! We just need a few more!" Peggy says, before rushing out of the fitting room to grab another dress. 

 While she does that, I reenter the fitting room I was just in and change out of the dress and slip into the clothes I had on. I open the door to find Peggy already back with another dress. This one is a boat neck shaped lined dark green dress. It's not to buffy or big like a ballgown, just simple like the other one. It shapes out my waist and my hips and also covers up my feet. It's sleeveless though it does have the shoulder straps. It feels incredibly soft, almost like silk. The Sisters stand behind me after I had changed into this one, staring at me in the mirror, gazing at my beauty.