Chapter Eighteen

LAURENS STARES AT his phone for a long time. It buzzes and rings throughout the cafeteria, causing us to have a few, disturbed stares from other students surrounding us. Laurens grips his phone tightly in his hands, letting out shaky breaths as he stares at the caller ID. I rest my hand on his forearm, squeezing it comfortingly and lean into his ear, whispering softly, "You can do this, John..." 

 Laurens swallows and shakes his head violently. He doesn't reply. I sigh through my nose and turn toward the Sister's. I give them an apologetic look. 

 "Would you give us a moment in private, please?" I ask kindly. 

 The three girls nod. I thank them and grab Laurens by the elbow and drag him down the hall. It's quiet in the halls. Of course, it would be. Everyone's at the cafeteria eating lunch. I lean against the locker with my arms over my chest. I give Laurens a knowing look.

 "Answer it." Laurens snaps his head up toward me, his eyes wide again, and he shakes his head once more. He still won't talk. 

 "John," I sigh. "You have to face your fears..." 

 "You don't get it, Alexander!" Laurens hisses, the phone still buzzing in his hand. "The things he did to me! The things..." He pauses, looking back down at his phone. His brows furrowing together. "He hasn't spoken to me in four years. Why...Why is he calling now?"

 Laurens swallows hard and squeezes his eyes shut at a painful memory in his head. My chest clenches, heart aching for him. While Laurens has his eyes closed, I snatch his phone from him and press the "ACCEPT" button and put it back in his hands. Laurens's eyes snap open when he feels his phone back in his palms and shoots me a terrified glare. I smirk, resting my head against the locker and quirking an eyebrow. Laurens growls behind closed lips, mouthing, "You're so dead!"

  "There's my Johnny Boy!" Mr. Laurens squeals through the phone. Laurens winces and swallows, still glaring daggers at me. 

"Hi, Dad..." His voice croaks as he speaks. 

  "So, Jack. How've you been? How's Martha?" Mr. Laurens asks.

 Laurens winces again at the mention of both Martha and his nickname. He swallows, scratching the nape of his neck underneath his loose ponytail. He presses his lips together tightly. "Um...I'm doing alright. So is Martha... How's uh...how's home?" Laurens stutters. 

  "Home's alright," Mr. Laurens says. I can feel him shrug on the other end of the line. "How's Manhattan?" 

 Laurens shrugs. "Alright. Nothing crazy going on. Just working on school and trying to find a job..." 

  "That's my boy," Mr. Laurens says.

 I can feel him scarily smirk on the other end of the line. Laurens squeezes his eyes shut and tries to take a few calm, steady breaths. He reopens his eyes and locks his with mine. I smile softly, nodding encouragingly.