5. Defenseless

Klaus left early that morning to retrieve one, Sophie Devereaux. He was gone for maybe ten minutes while the rest of the household gathered in the sitting room. Then, like a flash, he was back with the witch. She immediately fell into a chair across from Rebekah and Lilith, who were both recovered.

    "We had a deal!" Klaus said angrily as soon as she caught her breath. "You protect my unborn child, I dismantle Marcel's army, and whilst I've been busy fulfilling my part of the bargain, you allowed Hayley to be attacked and almost killed by a gaggle of lunatic witches." He went over and sat in a chair as well.

    "I had nothing to do with it, I swear. Hayley and I are linked, remember? She dies, I die." Sophie explained quickly.

    "Then who were they?" Rebekah asked.

    "Yeah, I'd like to know the ringleader of whoever caused an arrow to be shot into my back." Lilith smiled sarcastically.

    "They're a faction of extremists. Sabine stupidly told them about some vision she had about the baby." Sophie said with annoyance.

    "What kind of vision?" Klaus asked.

    "She has them all the time. They're totally open to interpretation. I'm guessing she's wrong on this one." Sophie said nervously.

    "Well, how, may I ask, was this particular vision interpreted?" He leaned forward in his chair to ask.

    Sophie inhaled sharply. "Pretty much that your baby would bring death to all witches."

    "Ah, well, I grow fonder of this child by the second." Klaus smiled and Lilith laughed weakly.

    "Sophie, look. I promised Elijah that I would protect the Mikaelson miracle baby whilst he tries to win your witch Davina's loyalty. Why don't you tell me just how extreme this faction is?" Rebekah asked tiredly.

    "Elijah's talking to Davina?" Sophie asked.

    "Yeah, as we speak, I imagine," Rebekah answered simply while she crossed her legs.

    "I'm guessing she'll have plenty to say about that crowd," Sophie said with a few head nods.

    "Would that be because the only person she's been able to talk to for months is Marcel, or is there a story behind that?" Lilith asked as she crossed her arms and leaned back into the couch.

    "Do tell," Klaus ordered.

    "I wasn't always an advocate for the witches." Sophie shrugged. "My sister was devoted like our parents, and our upbringing was very strict, which drove me nuts. The minute I turned 21 I left the quarter to travel... and play, but I wanted to be a chef. So I came back to Rousseau's." Sophie explained.

    Lilith quickly cut her off with a gasp, "Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait! No way! How did I not realize before! To be fair, I don't remember much of those days as it is. Still, you were one to remember. What I do remember is finding you only a week before I moved to Mystic Falls. I was still in search of these blundering idiots," She pointed to the Mikaelson siblings on either side of her. "I had just made it into Montana and there you were. I went to a party. You chugged some whiskey, kissed the guy next to you, and then kissed me. I took you to my hotel and we had a pretty eventful week together. Then I had to leave. Probably would have offered for you to come if you hadn't snuck out the morning I was planning to leave."

    Sophie's jaw dropped. "Damn it! Now I owe Cleo money! I knew I should have just stayed in bed that day! You were Hot-Vampire-Chick! That's what my friends and I called you at least. Damn, they were jealous. I had to go to the bar that morning, forgot my keys the night before. Damn! I knew I should have stayed." Her face then fell. "If I had I likely would have been in, where'd you say? Mystic Falls? Like woulda been a hell of a lot easier there." Lilith didn't think now was the right time to tell her it wouldn't have been so she didn't. "But then I wouldn't have this chance to maybe get my niece back."