Arc 2. Chapter 2-4

"I never knew you had an interest for the fiddle" Old man Jean said when I arrived early the next day to his house. As soon as breakfast was over, I asked permission from my parents and filled a basket with bread and some marmalade I knew the man was fond of. Since I was going to ask for a favor from him, I guessed the least I could do was bring him something to eat. "But you got big bags under your eyes, moppet, bad night?" he asked as he ushered me inside.

I laughed awkwardly. "Something like that..."

After the ordeal of last night, I literally haven't closed my eyes. I was too scared that the demon would appear again. Worse, I was afraid that, this time, instead of injuring myself first I would do something to Thomas and Lucas. But even though the fear was there, I still couldn't bring myself to go back to my room all alone. Thomas had been ecstatic when he woke up to find me sleeping with him, and even more so when I told him I had a nightmare and had come to him for protection. His chest was bursting out with pride, the cute little melon heart.

Lucas, on the other hand, looked tired, though not as much as me. That was enough to tell me he hadn't been able to sleep well either.

I decided to come without Lucas, because I knew mom and dad would want at least someone who wasn't a fumbling six-year-old to help them with the morning chores, and because honestly we're not sewed at the waist. He wanted to come though, and I could understand why. Seriously, if last night had happened to him, I wouldn't want to leave his side either, but it was better this way. Old Man Jean knew me better, and trusted me too.

"Ah, Elaine, what brings you here?" a middle-aged woman asked when we entered through the kitchen's entrance. She was Old Man Jean's daughter and had quite the attitude. But she had always been nice to me.

Before I could answer, Old Man Jean grinned. "She says she's interested in the fiddle. See? Someone actually likes music too in this goddamn house."

"Watch your mouth! And Elaine doesn't even live with us!" the woman huffed, shaking a wooden spoon menacingly on one hand, though her father paid her little mind. She turned to me, her expression calming down considerably. "Are you sure? That thing's only scratches and whines and this man here keeps playing it as if it's still brand new!"

"Scratches an-bah! What do you know, woman?"

"I know it sounds horrible! Stop torturing us with that old thing! And your hands!" she pointed at said hands with her spoon. "You think you can still play with those hands?! You can't even button your shirt properly!"

"One day you will reach my age and won't be able to do the things you want... and that day I will laugh at you from heaven and said I told you so!"

"What heaven?! As if you'll-!"

Yeah, quite the attitude. I can see now where she got it from.

"Ehm, I brought some bread and marmalade, I wasn't sure what you liked so I hope this fits your tastes" I said, interrupting their pointless fight. The woman immediately turned from her father to me, glancing at the basket with curiosity. Then, she smiled.

"Thank you darlin', you shouldn't have" she said while taking the basket from my hands. "Oi! Old man, we got orange marmalade! You like that, don't cha?"

"Huh, you remember what I like? What a surprise!"

"Now, why don't you...?"

And another fight began. I sighed, waiting patiently until the two were done and Old Man Jean was finally showing me to his room. Since he couldn't climb the stairs anymore for fear of falling, he was currently sleeping on what used to be a storage room on the ground floor. He sat himself on his bed, letting out a contented sigh as he slightly leaned back on his hands.