Arc 1. Epilogue

A dry sound echoed throughout the hall. Lucas winced, seeing the red mark already forming on his older brother's left cheek.

Mathias, on the other hand, didn't as much as flinch. He remained calm as he looked at the older woman in front of him regretfully. The woman must have been in her early thirties. She had dark blond hair and brown eyes, as well as a small mole on the side of her mouth. Her eyes were fierce and smoldering as they looked at Mathias with hatred.

"This is all your fault!" she yelled, venom dripping from her words. Behind her, a man around the same age as her, with curly brown hair and golden eyes stood, watching the scene unfold in front of him impassively. A small boy with the same brown hair and golden eyes held the hem of his shirt, looking between the woman and Mathias with both confusion and fear. "Ever since you arrived at our home last year, asking for my daughter, nothing but misery has befallen us! And now this! Elaine's been asleep for three days without sign of waking up! And the best thing you can say it's I'm sorry?!"

Mathias took it all without saying a word. But contrary to Lucas' expectations, his silence didn't pacify the woman. If anything it just made her angrier.

"It's because of you she's like this! It's because of you we've been suffering so much! Are you happy now?! Are you happy now, after reducing my daughter to this state?!"

"Of course not" Mathias whispered, roughly, sadly. The woman didn't hear him. She lifted her hand, ready to strike Mathias again, before another voice stopped her.

"Must I remind you, lady, that hitting a noble it's a great offense? Why, you might even end up in prison if word about this gets out."

The one who said that, her tone nonchalant and even bored, was Adela, sitting not too far on a windowsill, watching the birds flying outside and the few servants left in the mansion working on the gardens. Everyone turned to look at her, and she smiled when their attention was completely on her.

"Once it's enough to get your point across, thank you very much."

"Nobody's talking to you, witch" the woman hissed, trembling. Adela frowned.

"My, my, what a way to talk to the person who saved your daughter's life, not once, but thrice, all in a little over twenty-four hours."

"You...!"

"Diane... that's enough" the man finally intervened, walking over to his wife and placing his hands on her shoulders. "Don't forget... Thomas is still here" he whispered, looking over his shoulder to the small boy behind him. Diane looked at him too, and taking deep breaths, forced herself to calm down.

"Excuse me" the voice of an older man cut through the tense ambiance in the hall. Everyone turned to look at Ezekiel, who had come out from a room. He carefully closed the door as his eyes landed on both Mathias and Elaine's family. "The check-up it's complete. There's a definite improvement in both her health and spiritual energy. At this pace, my guess is she's going to wake up at most by tomorrow morning."

Mathias nodded, bowing his head slightly to Ezekiel. "Thank you for your hard work."

"Ah, don't mention it. It's the least I can do after all" he dismissed his thanks with a wave of the hand. He looked at Elaine's parents. "If you want, you can see her now."

"Yes, we definitely want to see her now" Diane said, making her way to the room, but her husband stopped her.

He looked at Ezekiel and nodded his head. "Thank you, for looking after our daughter" Diane had a sneer on her face, unhappy with her husband's actions, but he looked at her sternly, leaning in to whisper in her ear; "can you stop that? What does it matter if he's a necromancer? He saved our daughter's life. The least you can do is push your prejudices behind at least for now."