Arc 1. Chapter 5-6

Positioned in front of the bulk of a man aiming to kill Mathias, I raised the dagger Isabella lent me and tried to stab the hand going for the young man behind me. This went beyond my own feelings towards the boy and my fear. If Mathias died, we were doomed, as simple as that. I had no opportunity against Sebastian. Heck, he had barely broken a sweat while disposing of professional mercenaries as if it was nothing, and I wanted to go against him now? I must be crazy.

And crazy I was, for I had no idea what I was going to do beyond trying to stab him. He was going to flatten me like a pancake before I could touch him. A puny eleven-year-old against a seasoned warrior, how funny that was.

But there was no time to worry over such small details. I couldn't let him touch Mathias. I couldn't let him win.

My left hand trembling, I jumped, dagger at the ready.

And before I could even reach him he quickly caught me with the other hand. I screamed at the force he was using, enough to break my poor wrist, my palm opening in response and letting the dagger fall to the ground. He took a second of his precious time to throw me right onto the opposite wall. And in that second, that small second, I acted on instinct.

The rope I had wrapped around my right hand, the one I thankfully thought of taking with me before, flew in his direction, and it was only by the grace of the gods and countless times herding cattle that the tied end managed to land perfectly around his neck. With the force he used to push me, I was able to drag him away from Mathias, even if it wasn't for long.

This was the same trick Noah used once his glaive was lost in battle during their fight in the manga, and needed to save Lucas from certain death. The rope tightened around the man's neck, and even though I knew it was futile, I pulled, doing my best to keep him away from Mathias for as long as I could. My feet landed on the ground and I almost slipped, but funnily enough the hold I had on Sebastian prevented me from falling.

And then he pulled the other end of the rope and I was hoisted up until he had me at eye level. I gasped.

"Annoying" he spit, swinging the rope and throwing me in the opposite direction. I screamed in those few moments I felt my body lose to gravity and the force of his thrown directing my soft and squishy body against the rock of the wall, just before another presence caught me at the very last moment. I gasped as my body collided with the warm body behind me, my back pressed to their chest.

"Good... going..."

I looked up, and was received by Noah's crooked smile. His head had a big gash with blood oozing out of it in rivulets, and one of his eyes was swollen, maintaining it slightly close in comparison to the other, but beyond that he looked... relatively fine for someone who was brutally shoved down on a marble table. "Took me a moment to... recover..." he looked up. I followed his gaze, seeing Isabella, all bloody and with big shards of glass sticking out of her skin, engaging Sebastian at close combat. She was staggering, the blood loss affecting her, but she didn't need to take Sebastian down yet, just keep him away from Mathias. For that, she was good enough. "How long till' he finishes? Damn..."

I wondered the same. Not even three minutes have passed but it felt like an eternity, especially with everything that took place in that short period of time. I looked at Mathias, willing him to finish already before Isabella reached her limit. I could see she was getting slower, and Sebastian taking advantage of it. He lifted his hand, going for Isabella's heart in a moment she slipped. She was not going to make it.

"NOW!" Noah screamed, desperate.

As if on cue, Mathias raised his hand, directing it at Sebastian. The pulse that was liberated then was nothing like the one before. It felt like being pushed by a wave in the ocean while your feet couldn't touch the bottom. I braced against it and thanked the fact Noah and I were already against the wall, otherwise we might have been flattened by the force. The chairs and cabinets flew, crashing against the walls and shattering. The table was pushed back as well. I closed my eyes and hoped none of it would crush us.