Arc 1. Chapter 3-7

We stared at each other for a whole minute without talking. He was trying to catch his breath while I was stunned, still not fully comprehending he was there in the flesh.

"..."

"..."

Reflexively, I took a step back.

"Wait!" he called, extending a hand towards me as if he wanted to reach out to me. I frowned, wondering for a moment if he really thought that was going to work before shaking my head.

"No."

And that was all I said before I turned around and ran as if death itself was at my heels. Which, considering the current situation, wasn't too much of a stretch.

Soon enough, I heard footsteps rapidly hurrying after me, but I had no courage to look behind me. With my luck, more likely than not I would trip on air and then everything would be over. I couldn't allow that, not after everything I had to go through to escape. Not after the effort Adela and Lucas put in for me.

So I kept running without being conscious to where I was going. I kept hearing Mathias behind me; and that impulse me forward. Why was he so persistent? Couldn't he just let me go? I got he was doing what he could in order to protect his brother, but I also wanted Lucas to live. Was there not a way for the two of us to survive this ordeal?

In that moment, I remembered what I was trying to do before encountering Mathias, and without thinking I slowed down.

What if I told him of the heroes coming? That someone else was in his way to the castle and there was no need for him to use me as a sacrifice in Lucas' stead? Would he believe it? No, he had to. There was no other option for me. I knew I wouldn't be able to outrun him, not with him being much larger than me, and my body being so weak and fragile. I was already beginning to feel the breathlessness of effort, and that typical pain on the side that showed my lack of physical condition. I wanted to laugh outloud at my uselessness. In the end, it was reduced to this, no? Me trying to convince him to let me go. Again.

I halted completely and caught my breath. I decided. It was all or nothing. With one last breath I turned around...

But before I could I felt something bumping onto me and throwing me on the ground.

"Argh!"

"Damn!"

Mathias!

"What are you doing on top of me? Get off!"

"You're the one who suddenly stopped running! I had no time to stop!"

The giant asshole was literally on me. Not in the romantic way, but crushing me like a rugby player with his complete weight on my back. I was suffocating!

"Just get off already! I can't breathe!"

Finally, it seemed my yell reached him because he immediately fumbled and made to stand up. I sighed in relief, moving my arms to support my weight on my elbows... when he stopped.

"..."

"..."

"Mathias..."

"I'm not crushing you anymore."

"...Let me go."

"...No."

This jerk!

"Mathias, listen to me" since he wasn't moving, I had no other option but try to convince him. But how to? "We can help Lucas together. Let's call for help. There's a mercenary group coming over here, if we catch with them we can tell them to come faster! I was just in my way to doing that and...!"