Arc 2. Chapter 1-5

"He came... here?"

Lucas' eyes were wide and surprised. We were back home after a long day out. I had to wait until it was almost ten in the night to tell Lucas that Mathias went to the festival as my parents appeared too awake from the festivities to go to sleep.

Maintaining his gaze, I slowly nodded my head, and Lucas glanced down, looking lost in his thoughts.

"He told me he wanted to meet us tonight at the inn he's staying, and to also cover our faces."

"We have our cloaks in the closet upstairs, but the door screeches when you open it" Lucas said, almost pouting.

"We can oil them before. That is..." I bit my lips, unsure of how to proceed, before finally shrugging. "Let's just open the door. If mom and dad ask, I will tell them I simply wanted to get an extra blanket."

Lucas nodded. I told him to stay downstairs while I climbed up the stairs. The door creaked ominously, causing me to wince, but even after I waited for a while, nobody came to question me. I took the cloaks and closed the door again, before reuniting with Lucas.

"Here" I threw him the cloak, which he took and put on immediately. "No, don't do that. Just keep it with you in the meantime. We have to wait until my parents are asleep and Thomas will wonder if you don't appear until much later."

"You're right" Lucas said while sighing, taking off the cloak. He was obviously anxious to see his brother again, but he understood we had to proceed with caution.

We agreed on a time, half an hour before midnight, before each going back to our rooms to wait until then. When the time came, I walked outside, surprised but at the same time not really upon seeing Lucas already waiting for me with his cloak on.

"Do you know where the inn is?" he asked as we started walking. The town was at walking distance from the farm, so it was not necessary to use a horse; that besides, would be too conspicuous.

I nodded. "There's only one inn in the entire town. It's a shabby and small wood building, and there's a tavern on the ground floor. One of my friends is the daughter of the owner" I explained, before frowning as something I didn't considered before crossed my mind. "The problem is that he didn't tell me his room number."

"If it's such a small inn I'm sure we'll find the room easily enough" he said so as to comfort me, and from then on, we made our way in silence.

The night was illuminated by the full moon, making our walk easier, but even like that it was kind of eerie and ominous. Just imagine it: two children covered by cloaks walking on the road in the middle of the night to town alone. I couldn't help but feel a bit insecure, even though it was the countryside and almost nothing dangerous happened here. At least, none that I knew of.

In just a question of minutes we saw the few lights that were scattered around town from a distance, indicating we were close. Because it was late almost everyone was sleeping, but establishments like taverns, brothels and gambling houses were still open and flourishing.

The dirt path made way to a cobblestone one. There was no sound except for the occasional raucous laugh or yell coming from the few opened taverns. Although the countryside was safe, the same couldn't be said about the town. I became more alert and I could see Lucas did too. Slowly, I guided him to a building almost at the other end of town, near its border.

The inn was a simple building constructed out of wood. It had three floors, not counting the attic, and the ground floor functioned as both a tavern and the home of the owner and his family. Unlike the other taverns though, this one served as more of an eatery with the occasional drunkard looking for some quiet space to get wasted, as opposed to the other two noisier taverns in town.