Arc 1. Chapter 3-4

I was about to throw up.

Since Lucas and Adela left, it had been over twelve hours. It was already dark outside and the time for the ritual was growing near. I had no news from them, but it was understandable. I was confined in my room, with no means of communication with the external world. Trying to come into contact with me would be incredibly difficult, not counting risky. We couldn't allow anyone to suspect anything, or get exposed more than we probably were this morning after those two fought in the courtyard.

Despite that, the nerves were consuming me. Any moment now, they would come for me, and I had no way of knowing whether Lucas and Adela got all the preparations ready in time. So many things could go wrong. What if they were caught? What if Lucas decided not to help me after all and told his brother everything? It was unavoidable to have doubts, considering the success of my escape was no longer in my hands, but on two people who had dubious reasons to help me at all.

The clock marked nine o'clock. A knock sounded from the door, making me jump in fright. I forced myself to calm down, keeping a hand over my heart and breathing deeply. It was probably Emily... coming to fetch me for the ritual. I carefully graced the pocket of my skirt to make sure the glass shard was there, and once I confirmed it I let out a breath.

"Come in" I called. I was sitting on the edge of the bed, my back to the entrance. The light of the gas lamps was reflected on the glass surface of the double doors of the balcony, allowing me to see behind me as if looking in a mirror. It was like that I saw the person who entered wasn't Emily.

It was Mathias.

My breath caught in my throat. I immediately looked away. What was he doing here? Were we found out after all? Was he here to punish me for getting his brother involved in my escape?

"Elaine" he said, his voice deep and monotonous.

I didn't answer, afraid whatever came out of my mouth would be the wrong thing and all three of us would ended up condemned for it.

"The ritual will take place at midnight, but a servant will come get you at eleven thirty to make sure you get there in time."

I blinked, confused for just a second before his words settled. So he wasn't here because we were found out. My heart swelled with relief. On the other hand, I couldn't help but frown. He came here to tell me that? What was the point? Why was he really here?

"Emily wasn't sure if she should serve you dinner or not. Are you hungry? In that case, I'll tell her to bring you something to eat."

An answer didn't grace his ears, and I heard him sigh. I had to contain a snort. What was he acting aggrieved for? Surely he didn't expect courteous conversation from me after what happened yesterday. I mean, he's smart, he must know than being here, right now, talking to me was not exactly an inconspicuous move. No, he was definitely up to something. He wasn't so nice to come just to make small conversation.

The thought that he had hidden intentions for his visit filled me with contempt. I didn't remember ever feeling this way about someone, even as Mio, even after she was betrayed by her boyfriend and best friend.

It was a weird emotion, this resentment. His mere presence, knowing he was so close to me, disgusted me. Hearing his voice, breathing the same air as him was nauseating, and there was nothing more I would like than for him to leave me alone because his existence was too much for me to tolerate. But I couldn't kick him out. It was too close to the ritual, and too close to the time of my escape. Whatever vengeance I could come up with for him would have to wait.

For now, I only wanted him gone, because I couldn't think straight with him here, when the thing I wanted the most was for him to suffer as much as he made me suffer.