Arc 1. Chapter 4-6

My first thought was that it was truly a lively camp.

I knew it from the manga, but seeing it in person was a different story altogether. The tents were disposed in the whole expanse of terrain of the valley, surrounded by the thick forest on all sides. It was at a vantage point where everything was visible for miles ahead. Plenty of lights shone in the form of bonfires, with people around cooking, drinking or laughing.

It was such an amenable sight one would not think these people were mercenaries preparing for a raid. Or, well, only a few people were preparing, by the look of some of the more drunken men laying on the ground sound asleep.

I admit though, I liked it more than I thought I would. Which considering I was expecting to hate it every bit as I hated de la Rosa's castle, was an awful lot.

It reminded me of Mio's family vacations on the mountain, camping and sleeping under the stars, all together.

What a nice memory!

"You're smiling Elaine" Lucas said, bewildered.

"You like it! You like it!" Noah chanted while jumping up and down around me. He was smiling too, though to be completely fair, he was always smiling. When he stopped jumping, he stood in front of me, one hand on his hip and the other extended with a thumb up. "Knew you were the kind that liked adventure!"

"How much adventure can you get in a band of mercenaries? And stop getting so close to her!" Lucas pushed him slightly while positioning himself protectively next to me; which, for the first time in days, I didn't feel it was necessary.

Noah simply laughed at Lucas' act of protectiveness. "Don't be so on guard! We can all be friends here!"

"I doubt it."

"You're the one who wanted to hire them" I told Lucas while frowning. He blushed slightly.

"Hiring mercenaries and becoming friends with them are two very different things."

"True, but we're not going to be just hired goons for much longer" Noah confirmed while looking at me. "Soon enough, you'll be a comrade!"

"Stop with the blabber Noah, the girl hasn't even said yes yet" August grabbed Noah from the back of his shirt and dragged him away from us. "Here, we're getting close to the commander's tent. Behave kids."

It was not necessary for him to tell us. Plenty of the men we passed greeted the group excitedly, more so when they saw the cargo they brought with them, but there were many more that looked at Lucas and me curiously, and a little warily. It would be a lie to say it wasn't a little intimidating.

The commander's tent was in the middle of the camp, larger than the others and with supplies boxes all around being organized by another group of younger men. There were no guards outside, and August barely announced his presence before raising the flap and urging us to enter.

The interior was just like what one would expect from the commander of a mercenary band. A table, chairs, two cots and other boxes lying around. Very military. A gas lamp was on the table, and a tall and burly blond man was leaning on it, examining a map. He didn't even raise his eyes when he heard us enter.

"Noah, what did I tell you about bringing strays to the camp?" he said in a deep voice, still not looking up.

Noah huffed in annoyance. "This time August agreed with me! Right, August? Tell him you said yes!"

"I think you will find these children worth your time Gale" August responded not bothering to correct or deny Noah's words. Gale lifted an eyebrow, his attention caught, and raised his head to look at us.