Arc 1. Chapter 2-6

It was difficult to breathe.

Lucas must have felt the tension in the air as well, because he was doing his absolute best to stir his brother's attention from me, but even as Mathias was happily chatting with Lucas, I could still feel his eyes going to me every now and then. I felt suffocated.

He heard me. Probably heard everything I've said to Lucas since I started asking him about the ritual. It was so not fair. I truly felt bad for making Lucas those types of questions, it wasn't my intention to hurt him but it was an unavoidable consequence of my plan to escape. However, Mathias must not see it that way. I perfectly understood his anger, as if I ever caught anyone talking that way to Thomas I would immediately cut their tongues for even trying to hurt my little brother in the first place. And it was exactly for that reason I was so scared.

I pursed my lips, avoiding his gaze and concentrating only on my own cup. What was I doing? Why was I so scared of him? He was just a child, and I was already an adult, though only mentally. Still, he was stronger than me, and Sebastian was with him. I had no idea what he would do. He was so protective of his younger brother. I couldn't even count the number of people he injured because they tried something against Lucas in the manga.

"So, Elaine" I heard him say my name all of a sudden. My hair stood on end in trepidation. He was sitting right next to me, occupying the space between Lucas and me. I slowly turned to look at him.

"Yes?" I mentally patted myself on the back for not stuttering. I left my cup on the plate and laid my hands against my lap to keep the trembling hidden from him. However, he must have noticed my dread anyway, because he smiled, mockingly, arrogantly, before saying in a smooth voice.

"I've come to realize that, despite all the time you've been staying at the mansion, you and I haven't really had a good talk until now. I find it especially aggravating since you've been hanging around Lucas so much. So, I would be happy if you allowed me the pleasure of your conversation as well."

"Of course" I answered, one part bewildered and another confused. The pleasure of my conversation? Aggravating? In the first place, he never took the time to come talk to me, unlike Lucas. And second, what was he planning? He very clearly said he ordered Lucas not to get close to me, and now he was acting as if I was an actual guest on this house and finding time to talk with every member of their family was expected of me. I got on guard instantly, keeping my eyes fixed on him. It took every ounce of willpower I had not to look away, but I was definitely not letting him scare me anymore.

He smiled, seeing my attempt at defiance, and I felt so small and frustrated he could induce these emotions on me.

"Then, tell me, where do you come from? I know you're from the southern region but I wasn't told which district specifically."

I blinked, briefly glancing at Sebastian, standing behind him like a shadow. My gesture was a clear indication for him to ask his butler instead of me, but Mathias ignored it, smiling at me and patiently waiting for my reply. Now I was the one feeling aggravated. "Tosca... sir."

"Oh, please call me Mathias. I heard you calling Lucas by name, and it would sadden me not to receive the same treatment."

What do I care about your feelings?

"Ok, Mathias."

Ugh, I was so weak.

"You look very young too, how old are you?"

"Eleven."

"Ah, a child" he made a dismissive gesture with his hand. I frowned. "So Tosca, huh? I heard it was the most affected district after last year's storms swept over the country. My condolences for you and your family. Seeing your condition, I can tell it took a real toll on you."