Chapter 9 - Sunday at the Farmhouse

For the third day in a row, the Abernathys all rose early the next morning, on Sunday, and let their hosts know they planned to be away the entire day.

"When do you think you will be back?" Richard asked over breakfast that morning.

"Why? Do you have plans?" Greg asked.

"We do have plans this morning," Richard shared when it became obvious he and Marion were likewise getting ready to leave. "Also, I was thinking of taking Marion out for dinner this evening," Richard explained. "Our anniversary is coming up and I'm going to be out of town for a location shoot."

"By all means, you and Marion should go out for dinner," Greg said firmly. "I am fairly certain we can take care of ourselves."

"Yes, we can," Susan confirmed. "We have left over pizza at the house and I've been meaning to go to the grocery store anyways to pick up some basics. Don't worry about us."

"But you don't even have furniture at your new house," Marion protested. "Are you sure?"

"We have our folding table and chairs," Greg reminded her. "And our beds are coming on Monday. We will come back here to sleep, but for tomorrow I believe we can make do in our new home."

And so with scope for their plans for Sunday decided, everyone was ready early, packed a change of clothes to wear at the house after church, and climbed in the car for the trip to their new community and future home.

c

"Greg, do you know if Richard and Marion go to church?" Susan asked curiously as they made their way through the canyon to the farmhouse.

"I don't think so, why?" Greg asked in surprise.

Susan shrugged. "I don't know. I know Richard comes across as being extremely secular most of the time, but this is the second Sunday in a row that they've gone somewhere in the morning while we were otherwise busy. I just can't help but wonder, that's all," Susan remarked.

Greg looked at her, wondering at her observation. "Curious. Richard and I have never talked about it, but now that you mention it, it is possible that they do. In the past, the relationship between myself and Richard has been based mostly on our professions. Over the years, our friendship has expanded into other areas, but it's only been recently that I've become aware of any of his religious views."

Susan nodded. "It's no big deal I suppose, I was just wondering," she commented as they pulled up in front of the farmhouse. "Have you got your key?" Susan checked as Greg got out, his arms full with their bags from the hardware store the day before.

"Right here on my key chain. You gave it to me Friday after supper," Greg reminded her.

"Oh yes. We'll be back in a couple of hours," Susan said through the open window.

"And I'm sure I'll find plenty to do to keep me busy," Greg said. "Enjoy the services Susan ... and you'd better hurry, or you're going to be late."

"Bye," she called as she rolled up the window again and they drove off, leaving Greg at the new house alone.

c

Greg watched Susan and the children drive away before turning fully laden to go into the new house. He set his packages down on the porch as he fumbled with his key ring, fitting the unfamiliar key into the lock. It clicked open and he went inside, taking his packages with him.

Closing the door behind him, Greg set his packages down on the raised brick hearth in the living room and took the time to look around the empty house. It was the first time he'd been there alone, and he took advantage of the opportunity to wander from room to room, thinking of the furnishings they'd seen the day before, trying to decide for himself which things they would actually need.