Chapter 11 - Birthday Plans and Other Normal Things

“Hi Papa,” Jessie said when Greg walked in the main part of the beach house on Tuesday evening while Susan was making her call.

“Hi Jessie. How’s my girl?” Greg asked as he kissed her on the cheek when she came running to give him a hug.

“I’m fine. Did you and Mama do a lot of shopping?” Jessie asked.

“Yes, we got quite a bit done. Mama can tell you all about it when she comes in,” Greg told her.

“Is Mama changing?” Jessie asked curiously.

“I think she and Zackary are calling his dad. Did you know its Zackary’s birthday this coming Sunday?” Greg asked her.

“Uh huh. He told me,” Jessie replied. “He wants his brother for his birthday … Papa, can you have a brother for your birthday?”

“Not always, but in this case, I think he can if it’s okay with his dad,” Greg told her.

“Susan’s inviting Matthew to come for the weekend?” Richard asked warily.

“That is what she has in mind. Remember that we are also moving into the house this Friday, so Matthew will be staying with us,” Greg assured him.

“And what are you all going to sleep on? Sleeping bags?” Richard asked.

“No, but that’s not a bad thought for Matthew in the event Susan has difficulty at the furniture store tomorrow,” Greg commented.

“Why, did you buy beds?” Richard asked curiously.

“Mattresses for the three of us came yesterday, along with bedframes,” Greg said. “We have furniture ordered for all the bedrooms, the kitchen, and the family room which will be arriving a few pieces at a time over the next three or four weeks.”

“So how much are you actually going to have by Friday?” Richard wondered.

“Our beds, linens … provided Susan can borrow twin-sized sheets for Jessie for a few days … a table for the kitchen, and a couple of easy chairs,” Greg answered.

“You’re telling Richard about our furniture?” Susan asked as she joined them.

“Yes. How did it go with Michael?” Greg wondered.

“Good. He’d been meaning to call me this evening, but wasn’t sure of the phone number. Apparently Zachary talked to him too this afternoon when he called their house to talk to Matt. He gave Michael the number for the new phone at the house, but not my cell number, so of course when he called, there was no answer,” Susan told him.

“Of course. Is he going to allow Matthew to come for a visit?” Greg asked.

“Provided we split his airfare. It will be Zackary’s birthday present from him and I,” Susan explained. “Matthew will arrive Friday evening and go home late Tuesday, around dinner time. The flight is about two and a half hours, so he’ll get there by bed time. Michael’s going to forward his flight information to me by email.”

“We’ll need to see what we can do about getting him a bed by Friday,” Greg remarked.

“Matt knows we’re moving in this weekend, so he’s okay with a sleeping bag if we need him to bring one. He’s also bringing as much as he can fit of Zack’s clothes in his suitcase. Michael will send more of his things by freight next week. I gave him the address,” Susan said.

“It sounds like you really are moving,” Richard said in disbelief.

“The house won’t look properly furnished for a long time, but we definitely are making progress,” Susan assured him. “Already Zack’s room is livable. Jessie’s and ours should be by tomorrow, so we’re getting there.”