Chapter 4

It had been two weeks since that second bathroom incident. Jessi hadn't shown up at school, never replied to Sam. Sam kept trying to text, even call a few times, but no replies or callbacks. Sam had started to get really worried. She even tried listening in on her lackey's conversations, but nothing they talked about was about Jessi, like they didn't care about her at all.

   She hadn't heard anything around school about her, what happened, or what she's doing. Eventually though, she decided there was only one thing left to do, and that was to go to her house. It's been long overdue. If she wanted to help Jessi, she had to go see her. No matter what past they've had.

   She had been sitting in her room for a while, knowing full well she should be getting ready for school. She decided to get ready, but not to go to school. She showered, freshened up, put on clean clothes. She walked downstairs to see her mother in the kitchen, making breakfast. Her mother seemed to have heard her come down as she yelled her name out.

"Sam sweetie, making some bacon and eggs, but not too slow, still gotta get to school!" Sam walked slowly into the kitchen, however she decided to sit in a chair, and wait for breakfast to be done, not wanting to distract her mother from it. She'll tell her when she's done with it, which was pretty soon. She gets the plates down, and is about to eat before Sam speaks up.

"I'm not going to school today." She says firmly to her mother, no stuttering, or hesitation. Which seems to shock her mother a bit, as if she's never heard her daughter speak about something with so much conviction, as if it was a fact. She puts her utensils down, but doesn't get mad. Whatever this is it's important and she can tell.

"Why?" She asks, no maliciousness or annoyance in her voice, genuine curiosity.

"I'm going over to Jessi's house today. It's been two weeks, and I'm worried." She says. Her mother stares at her for a few seconds before nodding her head a little, an understanding smile on her face.

"Don't worry, I'm not mad, I understand. I guess, one day of skipping wouldn't be too bad." Sam gives her mother a smile, before getting up and walking over to give her a hug.

"Thanks mom."

"You're welcome sweetie. Now eat before it gets cold." Sam gives a small laugh before pulling back, going back to her chair and finishing breakfast with her mother.

   Walking outside, she sees that it's pretty cloudy, some darker ones rolling in. High chance it'll start to rain when she gets there, but she doesn't mind, practically her an excuse to stay longer. She checks her phone for the directions to Jessi's house, she'd gotten the address from a classmate at school.

   Funny enough, Jessi hadn't treated them well over the years, but they were concerned as well. She had started her walk, watching the clouds to see what direction they were going in, and sure enough, the same direction as Jessi's house. To quicken her pace she starts to do a slight jog on her way there.

   She had kept her jog for about ten minutes, although starting to run out of breath. She had also started to feel spinkles of rain land on her, starting to hear thunder behind her. Good thing she wasn't very far from her house anymore, so she figured she'd walk the rest of the way to catch her breath. However about two minutes later, the rain started falling faster, and heavier, practically in an instant. Luckily, Jessi's house is right in front of her, so she doesn't get too wet before dashing under the overhang in front of the door. Her hair and clothes are wet, but only a little really, not enough to drip. From the look she got on the sidewalk, it was a two story house like her own, likely to be that Jessi's room is on the second story.

   Taking a deep breath, she lifts her arm up, and knocks on the door, not too hard or too soft, but a firm knock. For a few seconds she doesn't hear anything, which isn't surprising given the downpour of rain right behind her. What seems to be out of nowhere, the door slowly opens. The person answering, is an older black man, his hair graying slightly around his temples. He looks to be shorter than Jessi, but still taller than Sam, guessing around 6ft. Wearing glasses, and casual clothes, not looking like the happiest person in the world either. There's a few seconds of silence before he talks.