Chapter 5

Sam doesn't hear an answer. She hears maybe a slight rustling, but nothing more. So she knocks again, not harder or softer. This time she doesn't hear anything. So, in a quick judgement call, she goes to feel for the doorknob, it's unlocked.

   She turns it, and slowly opens the door. Seeing straight ahead of her, in front of a window is a bed, a big one. And inside the covers, the form of a person, however her legs stick from the blanket, bare feet near the end.

"Go away Dad." She hears Jessi's muffled voice as she stands in the doorway, Jessi's leg fidgeted a bit. Sam starts walking closer, slowly, getting to the edge of the bed. She sits down on the edge, then moves her hand over to her exposed leg, but she barely gets a touch in before she yanks her legs under the covers. "I said go away!" She says louder. Sam sets her hand down on the bed, exhaling through her nose. She turns to look at the window, watching the rain drops fall along it, the pitter patter a decent volume.

   She stares at the window a good minute, before looking down at the blanket with the distressed Jessi under it. Sam then enacts what is probably her boldest move yet, she goes to lay down next to Jessi, facing what she's pretty sure is the back of Jessi's head.

   She doesn't do anything else but lay there. Although she can tell Jessi is getting more irritated, as she yanks the blanket over head head to face what she believes is her father.

"Dad! I said-" When she turns around, she doesn't see her father, but instead Sam, a girl she's tormented, bullied, done awful things to.... so why was she in her bed, with the most comforting look on her face. Sam sees a look of shock. And to Sam's shock, she sees Jessi hair wasn't in her normal dreads, but let down, splayed around her head. A bit messy, but still nice looking. But Sam focuses on her eyes. The ones that start to water, ones that are filled with pain, regret... guilt. But practically in an instant, she turns back around and throws the blanket back over her head.

"Go away." She says in a quieter tone.

"I'm not going anywhere." Sam says back. She starts to scoot herself a little closer.

"Why are you here?" Jessi asks her.

"Because.... I'm your friend."

"You're not my friend. *sob* I don't have any friends. Nobody cares about me, nobody has come to see me, not one. *sob* No one."

"But I'm here now." Sam says as she puts her hand out on Jessi's shoulder.

"But why? Why are you here? For years I did nothing but hurt you. I don't deserve love, or friendship. My Dad hates me, because I killed her." Sam lets out a sigh, but then starts pulling on Jessi's shoulder, to get her to turn. Jessi doesn't resist though. She pulls her all the way down, then pulls the blanket off. Revealing a tear caked face, which are still falling. Jessi stares at the ceiling, not having the courage to face Sam. She brushes a bit of Jessi's hair our of her face, before grabbing her cheek and turning her head to look at her. Jessi tries to not give eye contact.

"Look at me." Jessi lets out a sob before looking Sam in the eye.

"He doesn't hate you. He told me even though he knew about what you were doing at school, he still loved you. Whatever those things were he and your mother tried, they were out of love for you. They wanted to help, because they love you, not to fix you or anything. I'm sure your mother loved you, so very much. And I know your Dad does, because you're his good girl." Calling her that, seems to trigger something in Jessi's mind, because she starts crying even harder. She then moves over to hug Sam, crying into her shoulder. The only thing she can really do is hug back, which she does. A gentle caress along her back.