Chapter 11

Jessi stood outside Lily's hospital room, staring at the closed door. It had been a few days since she overheard the other kids talking about Lily, after that she got in contact with Lily's Mom to find out what happened.

   She told her that Lily had cut her wrists in the bathroom. She was lucky to have come home when she did and found her in time to save her. She had lost a lot of blood, but she was still able to help her.

   Jessi looked to her right to see Sam sitting down, waiting for her to give her advice for something, anything.

"Don't worry, I'll be right out here. I don't think she'd want to see me anyway." She says quietly to Jessi so Lily doesn't hear her. Jessi takes a few deep breaths, calming herself. She can't help but feel that what she said to her, drove her to do this. She slowly reached for the door handle, and turned it. Pushing the door open slowly, looking at Sam one last time before going inside.

   She closed the door behind her, walking into a standard hospital room. Looking at the bed, she saw Lily laying there. Hooked up and everything...wrists bandaged. She was awake, looking out the window. She didn't seem to acknowledge her presence at all, full immersed in the outside world.

   As Jessi walked a little further, Lily's eyes glanced over but then went right back. Taking a look at Lily now, she had none of her makeup on, all natural. She had to admit, her natural beauty was nice.

   She kept slowly walking, before grabbing a chair and pulling it next to the bed. Even though Lily wasn't even looking at her, she still had a bit of a hard time looking at where her eyes were.

"What do you want?" Lily asked before Jessi got the chance to say anything. Her voice was very...wooden, maybe a slight of resentment. Jessi lets out a sigh.

"I heard about what happened. I wanted to come check on you."

"Oh yeah?"

"...yeah."

"So only after I did what I did, you suddenly care about how I feel?" Lily then turns her head to look at Jessi, some anger present on her face.

"No, that's not-"

"You went a whole week without checking to see if I was OK. I had hoped that after our...conversation, that you would apologize, say you were sorry for the way you talked to me....but no, instead I felt alone."

"YOU avoided ME."

"That's not the point. The point is, you knew I was hurting, yet you didn't think to talk to me."

"I thought you'd want some space....you don't get to do this Lily."

"Do what? Call you out on your shit?"

"Oh really? Because I remember we talked at length, about this same situation. You don't get to blame me. Sure I felt awful, thinking what I said drove you to do this, but you don't get to do this. I chose to stop associating myself with you because I realized where your feelings were."

"You broke my heart."

"And I'm sorry."

"You're sorry? Not when you replaced me, rejected me. What is about her that I don't have?"

"She's kind, caring, she's fun, she's nerdy... I love the way she smiles.....she also didn't assault somebody right in front of me."

"Is she here?" Thinking about this question, Jessi thinks that if she tells the truth, Lily might not want to talk anymore. So she does what she can to keep this going, even though it's going downhill.