V

George

I don't think I am the Alpha they're looking for.

"Okay! Now! Aim for the bullseye!" our instructor yells with his veins popping out of his neck.

"What!?" I exclaim in exasperation.

"He can hear you," Clarkson whispers behind my ears.

"But, I don't know how to use this thing," I whisper back. "Plus, I'm second to the next since everyone here is great at using bow and arrow."

"Focus on the target," he says. "You can do it, okay?"

"I can't!" I whisper in frustration.

"Georgina! Where is your attention!?" Ellis, the instructor, yells.

I instantly look at his frowning face. His dark eyes form two glaring black holes. With that, I stretch my arm out just like my other classmates did and insert an arrow between my fingers. I pull the arrow together with the bowstring.

Where did he stop pulling it again?

Is it at his cheeks? Should I stop pulling it when it touches my cheeks?

Focus on the target.

I stare at the red mark on the circular chopped wood. I move my left arm and point the arrow at the target.

I can do this.

As soon as the tip of the bow reaches my right cheek, I release it.

Please.

Hit the target.

"What!?"

"Did she just?"

"I can't believe it!"

"No! What are you doing!?" Ellis' angry yell boom. "You didn't even hit the target! Not even the edge? Are you serious!?"

I missed the target.

It didn't even touch the chopped wood.

I sigh and walk back to my position. My grip on the bow loosens as I feel the embarrassment and realize how many students saw what I did.

"Hey," Clarkson walks towards me. "It's okay," he lifts my chin to meet my teary eyes. His mouth gapes. He looks at the bow I'm holding and speaks, "I'll teach you later tonight, okay? Let's go back to the line. This is the last part of today's lesson."