XVI

George

"Hey," I hear my mother's voice. I see myself in the middle of an amusement park.

She hands me a cotton candy. Her smile is warm like a ray of sunshine. She holds my hand and spins me around.

"Viola!" she happily says. I find myself sitting on one of the horses of the carousel. I smile and touch the metal pole. My mother is riding one of the horses too.

"Aren't you busy? You keep visiting me lately," I say while looking around the empty amusement park.

She didn't answer.

"Visit me at the witch's forest after your class. I'll introduce my colleagues to you," she says.

"Sure," I smile. "Mom." I take a bite of the cotton candy. Though, I can't taste it.

We spend the few hours that we have in my dream. I feel free even though all of this is not real. I pull her to the pirate ship ride, literally pull. She keeps on refusing.

"Come on! We won't die here. It's just a dream," I say while laughing.

This is my first time laughing again.

"No!" she yells and gestures her hand. Sparkling dusts are released from her palm.

Everything stops except for the two of us.

"Why did you do that!?" I frown while looking at the roller coaster we're riding that stops from falling to the highest peak of its track.

"I'm not yet ready!" she yells back while she looks away. She scratches her neck and clears her throat.

"You're not yet ready!?" I exclaim. "This is the fun part!"

"How is this fun to you?" she stares at me with her confused gaze. "Look! We'll fall there!"

"That's how roller coaster works."

"I know that!" she replies in a nervous scream.

"Are you scared?" I ask in disbelief.

"No!" she glares at me.

"But why are we still–Aaaaaahhhhh!"

My words are cut when she snaps her fingers. The roller-coaster continues to fall.

"There! Let's go there!" I say while pulling her to the swing ride. I look at her and smile.