X

Clarkson

"George, can you hear me?" I ask while tapping her cheek.

"Of course, she can't. She's still in the phase," Camira says and leans against the wall, arms crossed across her chest, and says, "She's still in the phase."

"Meow." Mr. Tuna leaps onto the bed and takes a seat beside George.

"I suppose we should take better care of her. Her phase is a little different. She's a little..." Dahlia looks at me, unsure if she'll continue speaking.

"She's a little what?" I ask, swallowing hard.

"A little weak," she adds. She collects her medical supplies and cleans up.

A little weak...

"No, she isn't," I say, returning my gaze to the only human in the room. My gaze is drawn to the chain that is wrapped around George's wrist. "Do we need to chain every Morphes?" I help Dahlia with her cleaning.

"You know Morphes. They're uncontrollable, aren't they?" Camira says casually, closing her eyes. "You've been there before," she says, adding, "Did you contact one of your brothers?"

"Y-Yes," I nod and return my gaze to her.

We've lived in the village since the day we were born, but this is my first conversation with her.

"Why are–" my words are cut short when George shakes violently. We rush up to her. I take one of her hands in mine and intertwine our fingers.

"A-Aunt Liz," she whimpers. She begins to breathe heavily once more. Her cheeks are flushed with tears. I cup her cheek and wipe her tears away with my thumb.

"The medicines aren't helping her," Dahlia says. "What should we do? What should we do?" she asks, her gaze fixed on her potion. She takes out two of her potions. She combines them and shakes the bottle.

"You're mixing two potions that aren't supposed to be mixed," Camira points out. She wants to stop Dahlia. "Nevigera," she curses under her breath. She grips George's legs tightly.

"These two should be calming her body right now," Dahlia says. She dabs a few drops on her palm and covers George's nose. George gradually relaxes. She eases her hold on my hand.

"What–Did you kill her!?" Camira angrily yells.

George gasps for air with her eyes still closed.

"N-No, no–look! She's breathing!" Dahlia exclaims nervously. She lets out a dramatic gasp. "And I'm right! Look, look! I-I healed her!" Dahlia jumps out of joy while clamping her mouth.

The door of the house swings open. Some villagers come to visit us.