Another Holyoake

1/2 <3 K. xx

***

"Would you like to go for a walk, Mrs. Holyoake?" Molly asked after they finished coffee. "I'm here for another three hours and thought you might want to. I have a car too, so I can drive you somewhere if you need me to."

"No, thank you, my dear, I think I'm going to lie down instead," Nana said, rising. "Perhaps, later."

"Yeah, sure," Molly answered, "but for now, what should I do? I'm normally expected to get groceries with the client, and clean their house, or something." 

She looked around Nana's large kitchen with its immaculate surfaces and elegant vintage cabinetry.

"I do have a cleaning lady and four grandsons who live in the vicinity," Mable said with a laugh. "I only need help with a bath, the rest of the time you can just relax, dear."

"But that's not what I'm paid for," the girl said in a lost tone.

"To be fair, Mable, I need to go shopping. Perhaps, I can borrow Molly and her car," Viola said, putting the cups in the sink. "But you will obviously have to come with, since I'm not Molly's client."

"You think you're very clever, don't you, Viola, dear?" Mable said with another of her silver laughs.

"I know I'm very clever, Nana," Viola said, and all three women laughed. "You need to get out of the cottage, and I want to see the shops in Fleckney Woulds. Is the Winter Festival soon? I can't recall."

"It's the first weekend of February," Nana answered. "I remember how much you used to love it. It's grown since you were here last."

"Oh I love the Winter Festival," Molly exclaimed. "Sometimes it's even better than the Christmas Fair! So, you used to live here, and then you moved away, yeah?" she asked Viola.

"Yes, ten years ago. And now I'm back permanently," Viola answered. "I'm the partner in Dr. Fenton's surgery."

"Oh, Dr. Fenton," Molly exhaled.

Nana chuckled.

"I believe you just voiced out the sentiment of every single woman in this county, Molly." She looked at the nurse. "Help me get upstairs, dear. I'll rest a bit and then we will go show Fleckney Woulds to Viola. And Viola to Fleckney Woulds."

***

Viola was putting the grinder back into the cabinet, when she felt his presence in the kitchen. It's amazing how yesterday Rhys Holyoake was an abstract figure of an ex-husband - and today, it's like her lungs were full of his smell and the short hair stood up on the back of her neck because she knew he was behind her. It's just because you didn't meet him socially, as you expected - fully dressed, with your make-up on, with other people around. Like neighbours.

That's what you are now. Neighbours.

"Could you get me your plate, please?" she said without turning.

Let's test a theory. Yep, he's going back to the dining room because after finishing his food he just got up and left his dishes there.

He was back a minute later. She once again winced away from him when he leaned to put the plate into the sink.

"Sorry," he grumbled, and she felt his scrutinising look.

Viola stepped away, putting more distance between their bodies.

"So you're going to stay here for a few days," he said, and before she could give him - or swallow - her sarcastic remark, he yawned widely. "That's good. To be honest, I'm–" He yawned again. "Knackered. I haven't slept in twenty hours." He rubbed his face with his left hand and squeezed his eyes.