Rhys and Viola on Thin Ice

2/2 <3

K. xx

***

Since Fleckney was the birthplace of an Olympic ice skating champion, everyone in the county skated. Private and public rinks could be seen on every street, and the three biggest ones were always cleared out on the river in Lower Woulds. This year, they opened the fourth rink, especially for the Winter Festival, on the meres, around and between the floating walkways, so that people could enjoy the view of the light statues while skating.

Viola sat down on one of Scarlet Benches - she'd quite forgotten their significance, but the wrought iron benches were part of the Fleckney heritage. Rhys came back from the rental shack with two pairs of skates and knelt in front of her.

"I've gotten you the ones with laces and buckles," he said, picking up her foot.

"Why?" she asked, watching him take off her Sorel.

He set her foot on his thigh, and Viola playfully curled her toes a couple of times. He chuckled and threw her a sardonic look.

"Because they give the best support."

He put a skate on her foot - his fingers brushed at her sole, and she giggled - and started tightening the lacing. A large wide buckle clasped securely around her ankle. He started on her second skate, while Viola wiggled her already shackled foot. The skate was heavy and reminded her of the brace she'd had to wear when she'd twisted her ankle.

"Alright, give me a mo," he said, quickly put on his own skates, and got up.

He moved in them just as gracefully as he would in trainers, and Viola wasn't sure whether to appreciate and ogle him, or to feel insecure. He stretched his hands to her, helped her to get up - and had to grab her around her waist because she wobbled precariously. She pressed into him flush and huffed.

"Alright, love?" he asked, and she nodded.

"I just need a moment," she muttered, unsuccessfully trying to find her balance. "How is this– So bloody slippery– We aren't even on ice yet."

Her body once again started sloping, and she jerked instinctively trying to even out, and he had to once again support her under her arms.

"It's alright, let's just try to make a few steps and get to the edge of the rink," he said softly.

"How am I–" she started saying, and then her 'favourite' left ankle gave way, and Viola frantically clutched handfuls of his sleeves.

He leaned forward and deftly picked her up bridal style.

"Rhys!" she exclaimed.

"What? Someone might see?" he drew out teasingly, walking confidently towards the rink.

"What? Don't be ridiculous!" she answered haughtily. "Just warn me the next time. You're so tall on these, I feel like I might develop the fear of heights!"

He guffawed.

"Are you sure it's not because half of the county is watching us right now?" he asked.

He was right, the rink and the mere were crowded, and she'd caught a glimpse of quite a few familiar faces.

"Oh I'm sure," she murmured and pressed a kiss to the side of his neck under his jaw, where the pulse beat under his warm skin.

His stride stuttered, and she grabbed at his shoulders.

"Don't drop us!" she gasped.

He chuckled again, turned his head, and kissed her lips. Viola's arms went around his neck, as if without her will, and she pulled him closer, deepening the kiss. His lips opened slightly, his movements became greedier, and then he caught her bottom lip between his teeth. A small moan trembled in her throat, and he moved away.