Scaffold Your Skills

She considered turning around and leaving, but hesitated, wondering if it would look like she ran away - when a male voice called to her, "Viola!"

She looked up and saw Rhys, James Whitlaw, and two more familiar men standing on the scaffolds near the wooden structure. She gave them a wave and had no choice but to run up closer. She was already feeling cold, and she needed to be quick.

"Morning," she shouted up. All of them answered with hi's and hiya's. "I was just curious, I apologise for being a peeping tom," she said with a laugh and threw a quick glance at Rhys.

He smiled at her and gave her another wave.

"Wait!" Whitlaw shouted, squatted on the edge of the platform he stood on, grabbed to its edge, and threw his body down, hanging for a second, and then landing on the ground smoothly. "Morning, Dr. Holyoake," he said, grinning from ear to ear, and stepped even closer to her.

She gave him a sardonic look.

"Aren't you going to ask what these are for?" he asked.

"I really should be going, James," she said. "I'm not dressed for standing on one spot."

"Would you like my jacket?" he asked roguishly and grabbed his zipper.

She could feel everyone's eyes on her now, and she narrowed her eyes at Whitlaw.

"I'll leave you to your work, James," she said in a pointed tone and turned away.

At that moment a black Range Rover turned into the parking lot.

"Oh, that would be Mr. Mayor, I reckon," Whitlaw drew out. "Probably with his little missus. Have you met them?"

Viola shook her head, without looking at Whitlaw. The driver's door opened, and Mr. Thomas Oakby stepped out of his car. One could really see the resemblance between the Oakbies and the Holyoakes in the Mayor's appearance. He could easily be mistaken for another brother of John and Will Holyoakes. He was tall, wide-shouldered, lither than Rhys, but just as long-legged and proportionally built. He had an attractive intelligent face, a long and narrow patrician nose, and piercing blue eyes. Unlike the Holyoakes - with the exception of John who'd put years of efforts into his appearance - the Oakbies looked posh and 'pedigree,' with their finer features and the breeding that one couldn't hide even under a chunky jumper and a fashionable beard.

"Morning, gentlemen," Oakby said and smiled at everyone at the same time. "Dr. Holyoake, I presume. Pleasure to finally meet you."

He approached Viola and shook her hand. She could see the passenger door of the Mayor's Rover open, and a petite red-haired woman jumped out.

"I found it, Mr. Oakby," she shouted, shaking a piece of paper in her hand. "Oh, good morning," she greeted everyone with a polite smile. "I found the contract," she repeated to the Mayor and placed the printed page in his outstretched hand.

"Thank you, Ms. Fox," he said in a perfectly neutral professional tone.

Viola saw Rhys get down the ladder and come up to them. Another series of hellos' and good mornings' followed.

"Would you like to see the site?" Rhys asked the Mayor.

Oakby nodded. "Yes, please."

He looped his arm, and Ms. Fox took it.

"Are you going, Viola?" Whitlaw asked in a fake innocent tone.

Rhys glanced at her, as if asking her if she needed help, and she gave him a small snake of her head. Whitlaw was clearly stirring trouble and goading either just Rhys, or her as well.