Ranunculus Stratagem

Viola was finishing typing up her notes on her latest appointment, when a knock came to her office door.

"Yes?"

Fenton stuck his head in.

"Do you have a moment?" he asked in his usual grumpy tone, and Viola gave him a nod and invited him to sit with a wave of her hand. "I have an aggro to discuss with you," he said, taking the chair on the other side of  her desk. "Of the professional nature."

Viola pressed her lips hiding a smile. Only Alan Fenton could have an 'aggro of the professional nature.'

"How can I help you, Alan?"

"I have a patient who's been skipping their appointments. The bloodwork has come back, and it worries me." He made an annoyed noise in his throat. He was twirling a pen in his fingers, in an uncharacteristic nervous way. "And I'd ask you to take over the patient, especially considering your– well, gender, really. Except there's a possible conflict of interest here."

Viola's mind worked fast.

"Is the patient female?" she asked, and Fenton nodded.

"And that's why I'd love to ask you to take over," he said. "There are certain aspects that I'm sure she would be more willing to discuss with a female doctor. But also, she's–"

"A Holyoake," Viola finished his sentence, and his eyes flew up to her in surprise. "It's not that hard to guess, Alan." Viola paused, gathering her thoughts. "I understand you can't divulge anything without breaking the confidentiality, but I think we can speak more openly, considering how small this village is."

He chuckled. "I reckon you're right." He pushed his hand in his short sandy coloured hair and scratched his head. "It's Semra Holyoake. She had her physical a couple of months ago, and the results aren't good. And there are certain– symptoms, I think, she's hiding. And I'm hoping she'd open up to you," he said, "as a woman, and also, as–"

"Family?" Viola offered.

"Former family," he said and gave her a meaningful look. "I'm under the impression there are issues between her and the rest of the Holyoakes. They're bloody mafia, when it comes to family matters," he growled and rubbed his forehead. "You know it better than anyone. They close ranks. 'You touch one, you touch us all' sort of rubbish. And apparently, they all treat Sam Holyoake as the victim and shun her. So, I reckon since you aren't their favourite either, you two could chat."

"Alan," Viola said softly, "I can see the logic behind your thinking, but I have to tell you I do have rather cordial relationships with the Holyoakes."

"But it's just because you're so civil and– classy," Fenton dismissed. Viola gave him an amused look. "There's no way they can actually treat you poorly," he scoffed. "But you divorced their first-born, the apple of Mable Holyoake's eye, Mr. Rhys Hard Arse Holyoake, and you now have the nerve to saunter around their village, eat in their pub, and dance at their festivals. Any other woman would feel very uncomfortable in your position. They just don't dare snubbing you."

Keeping her face calm and schooled in the expression of polite interest, Viola marvelled at how differently people tended to see the same situation: she felt she was welcome back in Fleckney Fields and appreciated by the Holyoakes, while in the eyes of others she was here to almost 'stick it to the family,' it seemed. On the other hand, Fenton seemed to be forgetting that it had been Mable Holyoake who'd set Viola's move back to the county in motion.

One wonders, which of the two attitudes Rhys Holyoake himself leans towards?

"I don't anticipate a conflict of interest. Semra and I," Viola said in a level tone, "don't have much of a personal relationship. She married Sam shortly after my divorce, and our paths had hardly crossed before that."