Just Rhys

Rhys was standing behind the tent, talking to some unfamiliar man, both of them throwing pensive looks at a some sort of a complicated machine, which Viola assumed was a generator of sorts. A large corrugated tube led from the generator into the tent, probably heating up the air inside. Viola stopped a few feet away from them. Rhys looked her way, and she smiled at him. His eyebrows jumped up in surprise, and then he turned and said something quietly to the other man, who glanced at Viola. She gave him a polite smile.

"I don't think there's going to be any barney here," the man said, clapped his hand to Rhys' upper arm, and started walking away, with a respectful 'Dr. Holyoake' and a nod to Viola.

She stepped closer to Rhys. He looked exhausted, dark shadows lying under his eyes.

"Hi," he said. "We were just checking the–"

He didn't get to finish, because she pressed herself into him, pushing her hands around his middle, under his arms. His hands flew up, and she wrapped her arms around him and squeezed him tightly.

"Vi?" he muttered.

"Shush," she said. "You need a hug."

He embraced her back, and pressed his cheek to the top of her head.

"I do," he said quietly.

"Good. That's what I'm here for," she said.

They stood in silence for a few seconds, and then she felt him move his hand higher, onto her nape, and then his fingers tangled into her hair, slightly shifting her hat.

"You can tell me if something happens," she said firmly, and he jolted. "You can come for help and ask for what you need," she continued. "If I'm not comfortable or struggling with my own issues, I'll tell you. But, Rhys?" She slightly moved away from him and looked him in the eyes. "Like you said, we are family. However our dating goes this time, we aren't strangers. And you coming to me for help isn't going to push me away."

"You said it was challenging," he muttered stubbornly, taking a small step away from her. "And at the karaoke night–"

He stopped, and Viola gave him an expectant look. "What about the karaoke night?"

"I know we joked about it, but going out, say, with Fenton doesn't involve buggering about with family problems," he said and looked under his feet.

"They are my family as well," Viola said. "And besides, I'm not talking about discussing Sam's problems with me. That - you shouldn't do at all. If he wants to include anyone in them, it's his choice. What I'm talking about is you." Viola patted his chest with her open palm. "You had a rough night, and you can ring me up and tell me about it."

He looked at her, uneasiness splashing in his eyes.

"I wanted to," he said. "But it's just the same thing again. And I–"

"You never talked to me about your parents, Rhys," Viola said softly, and he frowned. "You never said how hard it was, how painful," she continued. "You just sat there, and I never knew if you needed me near, or I was imposing and making it worse. You close off, and you don't talk. And you wouldn't talk for days, and–"

"I did need you there," he interrupted. "Vi, of course I did! You were the only thing that made sense at the time. And I needed you yesterday, but–"

"But what?" she asked.

"I just didn't want you to see that," he said and shook his head. A heavy silky curl bobbed in front of his face, and he pushed his hand into his hair and raked it away from his face. "I shouldn't have insistent on Sam coming out with us, and–"