Yolanda Natalia Aurora Reyes Carrera

2/2 <3

K. :* 

***

"We should order," she said hurriedly and took a few steps away from him.

She found her phone in her handbag, unlocked the screen, and started scrolling with her left hand. She could feel him looking at her, and she tucked a stray curl behind her ear. Her cheekbone and her neck on the side facing him felt flushed.

"What are we eating?" he said, his voice still a bit raspy.

"I don't know," she said without lifting her eyes. "What would you like?"

"What would you like?" he asked, and she finally glanced at him.

He was pale, and deep shadows lay under his eyes.

"Rhys, I think I'll go, and you should order something for yourself, eat, and go to bed," she said. "You're exhausted, and I don't think you need to deal with my food related issues right now."

He gave her a confused look. "I asked you to come," he muttered.

"Yes, you wanted to talk," she said. "And we did. And I hope it helped. And now you need to rest."

"But– this is what helps. You being here," he answered.

She chuckled humorously. "We just see it so differently. For me, navigating eating with you is– challenging. We, together, with our relationship in this sort of a state of flux? That's an even bigger challenge," she said and smiled at the view of his bewildered face. "Clearly, you see it differently."

"I do," he said quietly. "You make me feel better. Being with you here makes me feel–" He stopped himself and shook his head. He frowned, mulling something over, and then met her eyes. "You're right, you should go," he said firmly. "I asked for your help, and you came. And making you stay would be– selfish."

For a second she didn't know what to say.

"That's– an unexpected level of emotional awareness and empathy from you, Rhys," she said and bit her bottom lip. "It's as if you'd just gone through an emotional shock that forced you to question how you treat other people's wishes and needs," she added in a teasing tone.

He tilted his head, and gave her that fake narrowed-eyed exasperated look that she always found so sexy. His lips pursed - and she knew a saucy remark was coming.

"And before you say anything, I'll take my leave," Viola said, pushed her phone into her handbag, and then quickly stepped to him and kissed his cheek. "Thank you."

"I didn't do anything special," he grumbled, turning his head slightly. His lips were just a few inches away from hers now. "But you can thank me again."

"You're right," she said, moving away. "You've simply demonstrated basic human decency. It wasn't exactly that much of an achievement."

"Harridan," he murmured.

Viola snorted. "That's an oddly old-fashioned term, but it's better than 'wishy-washy,' I suppose. Have a good night, Rhys."

He chuckled. "Have a good night, Vi."

***

The next day Viola left the surgery on her lunch break and walked to Miss Rosa's tearooms.

"I'll need a table for two," she said to the owner, and Miss Rosa perked up. "My friend is coming from the city to see our Festival," Viola added in a nonchalant tone.