The Cat Returns

"Oh dear, how unfortunate, " Klaus said in the flattest tone Viola had ever heard in her life.

"Is there something wrong with your generator?" Viola asked.

It wasn't completely dark yet, but all she could see was a dusky shape of the man standing by the counter.

"There's no generator," he said. "Well, there's one, but it doesn't work. The electricity is from the Ferguson farm. There are cables buried underground. If the farm loses power, so does the cabin."

Viola got up and shone her torch in her phone out of the kitchenette window. The snow was falling like a thick white wall behind it.

"Must be the storm," she said, quickly calculating their options in her mind. "Do you have a wood burner?"

"I do," he said just as nonchalantly. "But there's no wood. As you can imagine I'm not that diligent with the chopping."

Viola threw him an irritated look.

"I don't think you're taking your situation seriously enough. Well, then, get dressed," she said and got up.

"I am dressed," he said and looked down at himself.

"Your jacket and boots," she said, feeling more and more exasperated. "I'll drive you to the Hall. Or do you prefer to stay with one of the Holyoakes?"

"Neither preferably," he said. "I'm quite comfortable here, thank you."

"Without electricity or fire, you'll go into hypothermia in less than an hour." Viola shivered. "To think of it, it's rather cold here already."

"The glass in the backdoor is broken," he announced, just as blasé as before. "I'm sure electricity will be back in no time." He took the kettle off the hob and started pouring water in his mug. "So, shall I still make you tea, or will you be going?"

Viola took a measured breath in, reining her temper.

"Niklas, I know krav maga," she announced. "I'll land you on your back, unconscious, in about three seconds, and then I'll drag you to my car, load you in it like a rolled up carpet, and deliver your floppy form to the Nidhogg Hall to your full and utter humiliation," she said. "Get your bloody jacket and boots."

He gawked at her, his lips opening softly. Suddenly, a slightly unrelated revelation came to Viola. Is that how Rhys feels most of the time?! Like the only sane and capable person surrounded by whinging tots?! She suddenly felt acute appreciation for her ex-husband. Is he, though, her... ex? Viola scolded herself for the untimely soppiness, and focused on the man in front of her.

Niklas closed his mouth and plodded to a boring looking wardrobe by the entrance door. Viola started pulling on her jacket, trying not to think of the fact that her Panda was in no way a countryside worthy vehicle and most likely the two of them would get stuck somewhere mid-way from here to Fleckney Woulds. Just as Klaus said before. Damn it.

She pulled out her phone from her pocket. There wasn't a second of doubt in her mind whom she'd ring up now - but then she saw there was no network. She still sent Rhys a message assuming it would get delivered when the network was back.

She saw Niklas slowly lower himself on the floor to put on his boots, and then he leaned back against the wall and closed his eyes.

"Would you like some help?" Viola asked softly, and he shook his head.

"I can't risk it," he said without opening his eyes. His lips were white, and she saw his throat bob when he swallowed with difficulty. "You might decide I'm moving too slowly and chop me down like a dummy on a tatami."