Full Circle

"Now that we're done with organising the bedroom, I think if we just replace the media unit and the armchairs, the drawing room could look half decent," Viola said pointing at the furniture, without turning, and Rhys laughed behind her.

"How did you know I was there?" he asked, walked up to her, and wrapped his left arm around her.

She leaned back, pressing into his warm hard body. She'd caught his reflection in the telly, but she'd been on the receiving end of the Holyoake sixth sense when it came to someone's presence behind them, so she wasn't going to give up her little moment of triumph.

"Well, I've been a Holyoake for more than fifteen years," she said. "Your family's magical abilities have rubbed off on me."

"Technically you aren't a Holyoake anymore - nor are you one yet," he said and opened his other hand in front of her.

On his palm there was a red velvet box, and Viola gave out a surprised gasp. She thought she knew what was inside, but the box was long, better suited for a bracelet or even a necklace.

"Are these–" she whispered, and picked up the box with both her hands.

"Just open it," he said and kissed her temple.

The lid opened, tight against the movement of Viola's fingers, and inside she found her two rings - and a delicate bracelet and an elegant matching brooch, with charming enamel violets, and little crystals sitting in their hearts, and on the bracelet, also on the links between the flowers. The brooch looked like a realistic bunch of violets, tied with a white ribbon.

"Oh that's beautiful, Rhys," she said. "I don't know what to take first."

"Let's start with the bracelet," he said.

Viola stepped out of his embrace and lifted the box to him. He picked up the bracelet and clasped it around her left wrist.

"I took your rings to clean, and the jeweller offered me these," Rhys said, gently stroking the bracelet and then the little bone on her wrist. "He said the brooch is the symbol of those women, who were fighting for the right to vote, or soemthing, but I thought, who cares. These are viol-ets, right? So, it fits."

"I was named after the flower," Viola said, unable to tear her eyes from the bracelet. "My Mother loved the scent of Viola odorata. They use it in perfume a lot." She chuckled and threw Rhys a cheeky glance. "And they were not a symbol of the suffragette movement. These are Sappho's violets, a subtle symbol of female gay love."

Rhys hummed and looked down at the brooch.

"Will you still wear it?" he asked.

"Of course," she said and gently patted his chest. "It's absolutely beautiful. Thank you." She rose on tiptoes and kissed his cheek. "And the bracelet too." She moved her hand watching the silver chain in delight. "I love it."

"Alright then," he said nonchalantly. "So, about the rings–"

"Yes?" she said and stretched her hand to her engagement ring.

He pulled the box away from her.

"Are we seriously just going to Abernathy and signing some papers?" he asked, and Viola laughed.

"I've already paid for the license, and we can just go next Tuesday. Have you changed your mind?" she asked. "Are you not going to make an honest woman out of me?"

"As long as you're sure," he grumbled and moved the box to her. "I just thought–"

Viola's fingers hovered over the ring.