You Don't Own Me

Author's Note: 

My favourite cover of this song is by Anna Costa. You can find it on YouTube, but I put the link to the classic version by Dusty Springfield here - to fit our classy leading lady. Also, the thought of the music number from the film The First Wives'Club makes me giggle, considering how well the idea of the 'first wife' fits into this story. You can find it on YouTube as well. I do realise how outdated all these references are, but let's face it, I'm old ;)

Love,

K. xx

***

"OK, give me one of these," Yolanda said decisively, grabbed a ticket from under Rhys' palm, and headed to the stage.

On the way she crossed paths with Fenton, who seemed to be heading to the bar. She caught his sleeve, pulled him down, and whispered something in his ear. He threw a quick look at Viola - and then nodded to Yola. He then turned around and followed Yolanda onto the stage.

'They Can't Take That Away From Me' never sounded better. Yolanda had an excellent voice - crisp and full, reminiscent of Natalie Cole - and her duet with Fenton sounded like something from a Rat Pack film. After the song was over, Fenton kissed her hand and gave Yolanda a courteous bow.

"I'm starting to think Dr. Fenton should've joined the Festival years ago!" Mable exclaimed. "Who knew that this sort of a dapper gentleman has been hiding under the mask of a malcontent recluse?"

"Perhaps, he just needed a good reason to come out of his shell," Sam drew out and gave Viola a cheeky look.

Rhys rose, and on his way from their table he gave Sam a light smack to the back of his head. Sam grinned from ear to ear. Viola realised she'd missed his smiles. Contrary to Viola's expectations, Rhys didn't go onto the stage. He made a circle around the pub giving out the tickets, clearly being strategic about who was offered one, meaning he excluded Fenton and James Whitlaw who was now occupying another booth with a small group of his peers, neither of which was offered a ticket either. Those were only women and married men who were deemed worthy of Rhys' generosity - and he got smiles and claps on the shoulder as gratitude. He grinned, chatted, and then he was back to their booth - with only two tickets left in his hand.

"Well, at least we'll only have to endure your singing twice," Yola said, sitting back down.

John had just come back from the bar with the next round of drinks, and she gave him a thankful nod.

"I don't think I'll sing tonight," Rhys said pensively and tapped the tickets to his left palm. "Wouldn't want to be the second best to our dear doctor."

He put the tickets down on the centre of the table. They listened to the residents of Fleckney sing Martin, the Sinatras, and Nina Simone - with a varied degree of success. After some time, Rhys paid for the drinks for everyone in the pub - which gained him even more support from the crowd. Fenton continued drinking alone at the bar, although Viola could see he was repeatedly approached by female patrons. Once, their eyes accidentally met, and he saluted her with his Scotch. She returned the gesture with her red.

After about an hour, John picked up the ticket from the table - and serenaded Clem with 'Some Kind of Wonderful.' The pub burst into applause when he was done, and Viola couldn't stop smiling looking at these two lovebirds. They were, as the saying went, a match made in Heaven. Sitting down, John leaned and kissed Clem's cheek and then touched his nose to hers. Clem squinted and giggled.

"So, is this ticket going to waste then?" Sam asked and tapped the last ticket with his long index finger.

"A duet, perhaps, Viola?" Rhys said, pressed his finger into the ticket, and shifted it closer to Viola.