forty-eight

I refused to stay another second after the dinner ended, and the moment my eyes met Jackson's assuaged gaze, a clear indication that he was happy with how the food tasted, he comprehended what my intentions were. Although Mr. Nicholas Slavadge tried to stop us to spend more time sharing a drink or two over some talk, Jackson was direct in refusal. So, we were the first ones to leave, bidding our farewell, and repeatedly hearing how happy Mr. Salvadge was that we came, as well as Mrs. Salvadge. I would have never come to the dinner if not for Jackson, I just feel uncomfortable being a part of such a closed-off gathering but somehow the smile on Nicholas Salvadge's face during adieu washed that uneasiness away.

As I drove toward our mansions, after a pause of utter silence, while I was focusing on the driving, I heard Jackson's voice beside me from the passenger seat, "So, you asked Nicholas' son for help regarding the organization matter?"

His words may sound full of taunting but the underline sharp seriousness they held was nowhere going to go unnoticed from my senses. 

Sharing a peripheral glance with him, I casually dismissed, "I didn't."

I have no intentions of stating the whole story, he doesn't need to know all the useless details, because whatever he asks I always give him the truth. And he knows this too well, so the lack of elaboration didn't bother him and he nodded, not bringing forward another question regarding this. I know why Jackos sounded serious, and why this thing felt strange to him because he knows asking some stranger help for my matters in or out of business can never be Allea. And if I did, then the matter would have been too grave for me to walk past my conceit.

Thinking of Aris Salvadge, I don't know to whom he wanted to announce that we are familiar with each other than others, but it didn't bother me much. One thing I'm finding amusing with each interaction with Mr. Salvadge is how along with the things I complied about his character there's so much that I don't know. So, I consider it best to just not think about his actions as, because of the lack of interaction with him in the past, I clearly don't know enough about him. Therefore, It's better to just perceive him a little better before, if I have to, begin making speculations about his intentions.

After a few minutes of another silence, Jackon's voice snatched away my focus toward him, as he muttered under his breath and left the sentence halfway.

"He seems a regal businessman, much sharper than his father and..."

I didn't turn toward him or ask what comes after and, because as far as I can suppose, the little I know about  Aris Salvadge is still more as compared to Jackson. 

What's bothering me at the back of my mind, is something else.

My gaze flickered toward the rearview mirror, and seeing Kai with his eyes closed, looked deep in sleep due to exhaustion. With an audible sigh I trained my gaze again on the road and enunciated casually, "Jackson, do you not agree with me not indulging Kai in business?"

Jackson never interfered with what happens between Kai and me, and I respect him for giving us space. From past years, It's not hard for me to see that somewhere deep inside, Jackson gets conscious knowing well that he's the one who chose to live his life instead of handling business and raising Kai. But that's no the case with me, I don't think so and I have always asked Jackson's opinions/advice/help as a subtle effort to make him feel that no matter what he will always be an undefied significant part of our lives. 

But, from past days, somewhere I'm feeling Jackson's forcing himself, through small actions that I have observed like how he has started insisting though in suppressed words to let Kai involved in business interactions, how easily he agreed and made Kai's introduction to all the people in Nicholas' Salvadge dinner. Maybe I'm thinking too much, but I don't want my mind to sink into useless doubts, so, it's just better to just ask Jackson directly.