eighteen

"Hey, um...wanna have a match?"

When I returned to the living area, Kai was waiting for me and eagerly asked. The match - we have developed a habit on weekends -when I usually have time- to play soccer in our backyard which we have turned into a not-so-big soccer field, just the two of us and sometimes Elijah. I frowned at his untimely request, we rarely play on weekdays, moreover, at night. I was tired but seeing him smiling at me expectantly, I didn't have the heart to decline him.

"Okay."

Changing my shoes to cleats as I was still in my office clothes, and Kai was in his casual ones but without the care of the world, we indulged in our competitive game. Our games are never professional, like how could two of play like that, so we just -the two of us- fight for the ball and crossing each other's defenses try to goal but always super fun.

As we continued to play, I realized Kai was going too easy, he usually plays quietly seriously, not once bearing to give me the soccer ball but today he was docile and I could easily snatch the ball from his grasp. Nonetheless, I didn't point out his behavior and played along, we were done after an hour, dripped in sweat and breathing heavily while resting on the ground we were playing a few minutes ago. Although he lost, he still was grinning, the complete opposite of what happens when he loses a match.

Shaking my head at his stupid behavior, I can assume why he was behaving like this, I have restricted Kai to give me any gift until he earns his own money, therefore, each year he does these little sneaky things, like last year he baked a cake and the previous year we went to eat ice-cream which he bought with his pocket-money.

I smiled toward him, and stood up to pat his head -Kai looked at me with his bright blue eyes and a startled look- ruffling his mildly wet hair from sweat, I ridiculed, "Stupid-fool."

After that, I turned and left but not before warning Kai to freshen up and sleep on time, I was extremely exhausted and after a shower, except sleep, there was nothing else I wanted to do.

"Brat, Happy Birthday." 

With one last look to check my iPhone, I was about to sleep when Jackson's message pooped up.

I'm not angry with Jackson, just maybe annoyed.

Four years ago, after eight-month of full treatment of his tumor, Jackson returned healthily. I thought that now he was back, he surely would join the company and I would get a little help but who knew that old-man had other plans.

The moment I turned eighteen, he legally made me Kai's guardian and washed his hands away from every possible responsibility of the company. That year I learned that Jackson turned thirty-seven and he had no plans to continue his life like this -first struggling to earn money then having responsibilities he didn't really want and then the company, he basically thought he would die but now that he had new life he didn't want to repeat the same routine and desired to live for himself -how he liked. So pushing everything on me using my own words, which I used once used to pursue him to get tumor's treatment, -I don't need you- he disappeared.

Well, disappeared not in actual terms, but yeah from the past four years he has been touring around the world, eating different foods because of this he also discovered his love for food and learning different cultures & things about various ethnicities along with spending as much money as he wants. Though he kept in contact with us, mostly with Kai through video chats and sending him things from all around the world. Kai had no problem with Jackson's leaving, I guess he realized that Jackson too had his wishes and life.

He kept in contact with me too, taunting and laughing at my state from time to time, he too like Elijah teases me for having no life and I also have to ignore his words. In past years, only about three to four times he returned to meet us more particularly on Kai's birthdays, and -again surprisingly- he too got along  with Elijah.

Well, I never thought Jackson had this kind of wish, it didn't really match with his personality but I'm happy for him, I can see that he's truly loving his life now. There was nothing wrong with him wanting to live his life on his own terms, he was in his forties, not now then when? But still, I -sometimes- miss him. Although, when I talked to him last time, he was planning to visit us again this time, again on Kai's birthday which is still months away. I have also noticed many changes in Jackson, he has become more easy-going and less stiff with others, tries to laugh more, and jokes, it's always pleasant to have him around. I guess, the good-effect of socializing with almost the whole world.

Life has been easy in past years, I hope it persists at the same pace in the coming years too, with this thought I fell into my peaceful sleep.

...

As I entered my office the next morning, I was informed by my assistant Nayla of a quite familiar party invitation.

I sat leaning against my chair, eyes fixed on the card in my hand, and my other hand taping rhythmically against the table.

I remember my past twenty-two-year-old self attended this party in as much as gaudy clothes she could muster up because she had to win favors from others -this party will have businessmen, influential people and even royals from all around the world- but now time was different, I'm not the same Allea -and now people beg to gain favor with Allgaier's. Although I rarely attended any business gathering in these years, this was important and an exception.

An invitation personally send by Nicholas Salvadge, our old business acquaintance, he's deciding to retire and merge his company with his son's, therefore, celebrating both his retirement and this announcement -the year's most significant party was being held a week later. It was improbable to not hear his name in the past five years -Aris Salvadge. This was the same party my past-self started an infatuation with him and once again I'll meet him here. Although we are in the same field but in different areas that's why we never crossed paths, he started as the manufactures of the world fastest and advanced sports cars, then they continued to advance in machinery making, turning the company into an aerospace manufacturer and a lot of sub-companies of space transport services along with leading cars of the world.

Aris Salvadge started his company at the age of fourteen and now at the age of twenty-five, his company was the world's ninth and city's second, at first was his father. Who now has decided to give his business to his heir, merging two world's largest companies, that will make Aris Salvadge among the richest of the world and soon he'll reach at more heights in coming years.

In past years he has remained way too low-key, this was his probably first appearance though I'm not really looking forward to meeting him, that doesn't mean I'll ignore him. He's truly an exceptional man, my past-self admired him for money & power but now I only see him as a man of great accomplishments from the perspective of a business person, whatever he has, he worked hard to earn it and managing such a huge empire was something only an extra-ordinary man could do.

Besides Aris Salvadge this party will have a lot of familiar faces that I'm also not quite thrilled to see or in other words, I don't really care. Whom they'll meet is this Allea and she's now way above their reach.