fifty-four

"Boss, the files have been sent to Mr. Giovanni, in response, he'll start working on them soon."

"And these are the details of the projects, Mrs. Lorenzo has been working on for the past three months, but are not availing much."

"These are the projects we have finalized that also include domestic export plans, and have been finalized by all the investors. So, should I tell Mr. Enzo to start working on this soon?"

As we were busy concluding the work for the day, without moving my eyes from the file in front of me, I heard Nayla and Ali's words, and at his last question nodded my head. With that he excused himself to go to Mr. Enzo's office, which was originally this where I'm seated. But for the few days, while I'm here, I told him quite a lot to prepare a momentary office for me, but he insistently gave me his and himself transferred to a little one next door.

"...Boss?"

"Yes."

"Um...I think it's getting quite late, and everyone's now quite eager to leave."

At Nayla's hesitant words, my gaze immediately moved toward the time, showing eight and a half in the evening. At work, I didn't realize how time passed. Seeing the exhaustion on Nayla's face, the guilt rose inside me, so without much delay, I agreed, "Yes, let's gather the rest of the files, I'll take them with me to the hotel."

For the past five days, excluding the first day, we have been so lost in all these files and work, that along with me, barely anyone in the company got any chance to heave a sigh of relief. I can only finish work as much as I can with what time I have, so, others had no objection to overtime and co-operating with me and I know myself when to stop. Still, with so many things still left to balance out, I'm finding myself more and more engrossed in them, much less caring about me or the world around me.

Walking out of the office, I coincidentally met the executive, as Mr. Enzo was too walking out of his office with Ali beside him, at his formal greeting, I too returned with a nod. I noticed how his smile widened when I proceeded to inform him that I was leaving, but soon a thought came over and I halted in my advancing steps to state, "Mr. Enzo, push forward the meeting we have with investors to tomorrow noon," hearing my words, dubiety appeared on his face, which eased a little as I continued, "I want to discuss a few points, which I'm thinking of changing, I'll send you the file."

Receiving his positive response, I walked out of the building along with Nayla and Ali.

The moment the car's door opened, I halted in my movements, the subtle cold wind of late spring touching my face ever so lightly compelled me to change my mind. Even though I'm tired, but a part of me doesn't feel like directly going to the hotel --from one closed room(office) to another.

Moving toward my assistants, who were waiting for me to enter the car, I lightly indicated, "Later."

Without asking, Nayla understandingly nodded, with that, I turned away from the car and saw her approaching the guards, probably to tell them to follow me, I don't have to intervene because I know she'll recount them to maintain their distance. Wearing the jacket I was holding in my hand, I advanced in the opposite direction.

My light steps carried me further into the bustling city, the industry building lies in the southwest of the city, and from about a twenty-five-minute walk lies Navigli (a system of interconnected canals in and around Milan). It's not my first time going there, I have been there on my other visits and despite the hustle, I find it exceptionally peaceful.

On my walk there, the wind continued to touch my face, which made me want to loosen up my tied-up hair a little. As I strolled, I continued to take in beautiful sights of the city shining in the lights but the shadow darkness was casting over the traditionally sculptured buildings lightened up their placidness. As I reached another turn, halting my steps, I pulled out my iPhone and opened the map of Milan to confirm and not take the wrong turn, after that, I continued on my way.