twenty-one

"This is the first time, I saw you flattering someone, quite impressive."

He was laughing at how I blarneyed Mrs. Salvadge, I too smiled playfully at Elijah's words, "I was just following the route, you know these people-" I pointed toward the crowd and burlesquing Elijah's way of saying, " -rich people- they are used to listening good about them, so they don't like when someone tells them otherwise or disregards them."

It's no hidden fact how much Nicholas Salvadge appreciates and loves his wife, offending her means disrespecting his husband. So after a pause, I continued, "Now, why would I want to spoil my association with Mr. Slavadge."

"But you still deliberately disregarded him? Didn't you?" With a taunting smile, he added, while staring at me with his raised hazel eyes.

At Elijah's baseless accusation, I raised a brow at him. I know who he was talking about -Aris Salvadge. Now, why would I ignore him -No- but the question should be, why should I give my attention to him?

Yeah, I know, I followed him around for about three years -gosh, how did I do that- so I thought that seeing him face-to-face, I would feel something, like a sudden rise of heartbeat, or my heart would skip a beat or something like that but nothing happened, Nah. Not a single fluctuation in emotion, it was just like countless men I meet and see in the business meetings, empty regard. I guess that was truly just that -an infatuation- and what happened and what my past self saw was enough to get over it.

"His father was whom I'm familiar with, so there was no point in talking to him," I offhandedly shrugged and took my wine glass, a soft smile appeared on my face as I took a sip. "Besides, have you seen his face? It's written clear and wide, 'I know who I'm and I don't need you to tell me, so just'," I showed him my middle finger to complete the sentence, at which he just laughed and agreed with a nod.

Slightly shaking his head, Elijah stated, "And here I always thought you don't know how to socialize, you just don't want to."

That much Elijha's right about -I don't want to- he may not know but I have done quite of a lot of socializing and greeting with these people, but all they did was scorn at my face and condition, I don't blame them and I have no right to. This is in the nature of things, that's how this world works. In a time of need without benefits, they won't even help their friend or even brother and I was no one to them. With one look, I can recognize quite a lot of snakes, I didn't associate my company with them nor I will in the future, they're no less than scum no matter how expensive their dresses are.

That's why I don't believe in connections or earning resources anymore, I have always strived to make Allgaier Corporation stand on its own. I want Kai to do the same, no one can help when you truly need it, so it's only our feet we can stand on, our own power we can depend on, and our own strength we can lean on, make yourself so strong that no one can dare to shake your base. So they can assume as much arrogant they want I'm. First, I don't care and second, I'm arrogant. So what? I have learned & worked not to depend on people and I'm proud of it. They can't even think of touching me or Allgaier Corporation, and this is only the beginning, the future is yet to come.

My eyes flickered toward Elijah, come to think of it, I wonder why Elijah didn't greet Aris Slavadge, he's working with him he should have met him, Elijah was standing at my right, while he was few steps far on the right side, but Elijah did saw him. "Why didn't you greet Mr. Aris Slavadge, isn't his company sponsoring you?"

"Yeah, at first I also didn't notice him, later I thought it was unnecessary, we would eventually meet." I nodded, and I also noticed how when Nicholas Slavadge came, he tried to disappear himself, I assume, Elijah thought he came to meet me and his presence was not needed, this guy.