𝗍 𝗐 𝖾 𝗇 𝗍 𝗒 - 𝗍 𝗁 𝗋 𝖾 𝖾

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

❝ there's change coming ❞

•••

Sophie sat with the team outside in their Team USA apparel as Bombay talked to them. She sat in between Goldberg and Dwayne with Dean sitting on the back of the bench behind her. The coach had a barrel and a cardboard cutout of himself off to the side as he began his little speech.

"I've had a lot of distractions since I've been here in LA. This is a distraction," Bombay began as he held up the cardboard cutout of himself.

The team began making comments, teasing their coach causing him to smile. He let the comments continue for a few more moments before he lit a match and threw it into the barrel.

"This is a fire in a barrel," he continued as Jan passed him the cutout before he shoved it into the barrel. "This is a distraction in a fire in a barrel. Any questions?"

The team began applauding their coach on his growth and smiled at the man. Bombay smiled back at them, truly feeling happy. He wanted them to go all the way and win this tournament but more importantly he wanted them to enjoy themselves and be proud of their accomplishments.

Sophie high fived Kenny as the were still clapping for their coach. The pair were glad to finally be functioning as a team even if it was now halfway through the tournament. This is what they had signed up for when they had agreed to join Team USA.

"Now we have a scheduled practice at the rink in an hour and half so meet back here in an hour and fifteen so to discuss the plan. We don't want to waste any time," Bombay told the kids before dismissing them.

Sophie stood up quickly with a smile and turned to Kenny who stood next to her. Adam made his way over to the pair as Dean jumped off of the bench. The girl had no idea what they would do for the free time that they had but she knew they would make the most of it.

"Alright what's the plan boys?" Sophie spoke up after a moment of silence between the four.

"We just had lunch but I'm starving," Kenny said as he looked at the other three.

"Let's go get shakes and fries," Adam suggested as he shoved his hands in his pockets, wincing slightly at the pain in his wrist.

The other three agreed with the blonde boy and they set off to the fifty's themed diner that Sophie and Dean had visited multiple times since their arrival in California. Kenny and Dean were walking in front of Sophie and Adam, joking around with each other. There was the occasional joking shove which made Sophie grin.

She was glad her best friend had made friends with other people on the team. It was one of the things that she loved about hockey. Your team turned into your friends who turned into your family. She knew that to be true as the Ducks were becoming her found family.

"How's the wrist?" Sophie asked Adam when she once again noticed him wince in pain.

"Oh, it's fine. Never better," Adam fibbed, not meeting the girl's eyes.

Sophie let out a sarcastic hum as they continued following Dean and Kenny. Adam looked at her and scoffed.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Oh, nothing. Nothing. I just don't believe you buddy."

"Soph, I'm fine. My wrist is completely fine," Adam assured the girl with a smile.

"I still don't believe you, but I guess I'll leave it alone since you're so adamite about it."

Adam muttered a "thank you" before they walked into the restaurant behind Dean and Kenny. They were quickly shown to a table, Sophie sliding into the booth next to Dean. Adam and Kenny sat across from them and they immediately were thrown into conversation together.

"All I'm saying is that the entire Iceland team being blonde seems unrealistic. At least two of them must have bleached their hair," Sophie stated before taking a sip of her vanilla milkshake.

Adam laughed at the girl's words as Kenny shook his head. Dean, who had had this conversation with his girlfriend at least twice since the first time they saw the rival team, just let out a breathless laugh at the girl.

"The amount of times I've heard you say that Fi," Dean trailed off as the waiter brought the four their fries. "Thank you."

Sophie grabbed the ketchup bottle and squirted some onto the empty spot in the fry basket. The three boys began picking up fries as Sophie laughed at how quick they were to begin eating. She herself began to eat the fries as they continued speaking about the tournament.

There were many predictions about what would happen, and which teams would beat others. The four enjoyed their off time as they knew they would not have much of it in the coming days. Bombay, McKay, Charlie, and Sophie had come up with a practice schedule that gave some school and rest time. The team agreed with the schedule, wanting to be the best they could be.

"Alright we still have half an hour until we have to be back at the rink, so I say we have only water starting now," Kenny spoke after looking up from his watch.

"Sounds like a good idea. I definitely don't want to see our shakes again," Adam laughed.

Sophie, Kenny, and Dean all laughed in agreement as they began cleaning up their table a bit. The waiter came by the table and dropped off the tab before quickly making his way to the next table as an older man had called his attention.

"It's on me today boys," Sophie smiled as she grabbed the tab.

"You paid last time!" Adam exclaimed as he tried to pull the receipt folder out of her hands.

"Too bad!" Sophie smacked Adam's uninjured wrist, knowing the other was already in enough pain.

The blonde boy let go of the folder and sat back in his seat with a pout. Sophie let out an "aw" to tease the boy before realizing that Dean had pulled the tab out of her hand. The boy had already slipped the money in and was passing it to the waiter, his arm in front of Sophie. Dean gave his girlfriend a cheeky smile before wrapping his arm around her shoulder and turning to the other two opposite them.

"Well should we get ready to go?"

Sophie rolled her eyes at the boy before pulling the flannel that was around her waist, back onto her arms. Kenny and Adam both slid out of the booth followed by the girl and Dean.

"To the rink for practice!"