𝗍 𝗐 𝖾 𝗇 𝗍 𝗒 - 𝖿 𝗈 𝗎 𝗋

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

❝ tomorrow they'll see what we are ❞

•••

Sophie felt herself sweating more than she had the entire she'd been in Los Angeles. She was excited to finally be having actual practices that were led by an actual coach. The girl felt more prepared for their next game already and they hadn't even finished their first practice yet.

The team had been doing multiple drills during their practice, many of which had been suggested by Sophie or Charlie. The pair had worked with Bombay on coming up with plans for each practice. They had a set routine of how much time in each practice was focused on what skills. Today they were focusing on whipping themselves back into shape so after doing numerous drills, they left for the gym.

The Goodwill Games had rented out a whole gym for the tournament and their contestants. Most of the guys were on treadmills but others were lifting weights or doing pushups. Sophie and Adam decided on spending their time on the elliptical machines and were jamming out to Blink-182 songs. Some kid who was on the U.S. track team had brought their boombox with them and had asked the two what they felt like listening to.

"I am so ready to take a nap," Sophie stated as she began to slow down a bit on the exercise machine.

"Remember we still have to literally run back to the locker room after this," Adam reminded the girl causing her to groan.

That little fact had slipped her mind and she internally cursed Charlie for suggesting it. She began to pace herself a bit more so that she wouldn't pass out on the way back to the locker rooms when the team finished up at the gym.

About half an hour later the team was called to a clear area of the gym to do their cool down stretching. They were led by Charlie after Sophie declared that she was too tired to think properly. The group spent close to ten minutes doing simple stretches before Bombay said it was time to go. Once the entire team was outside and Bombay was seated in the golf cart, the team was off on their run.

Despite being majorly exhausted, Sophie was one of the few leading the team. It seemed that not everyone remembered that they were running back to the locker room. The only thing keeping them going was the fact that they were going to a movie once they were all dressed.

"Pick up the pace boys!" Bombay called out to the few in the back.

Eventually the team made it back to their locker room which they were all more than thankful for. Sophie never thought that she would be so excited to get to her locker but here she was smiling at the locker door. She grabbed her towel and change of clothes before making her way to the girl's showers.

When she walked in Connie and Julie were talking before quietening down when they realized that the other girl had walked in. Sophie thought nothing of it as she just wanted to take a shower and go to movies so that she could fall asleep on Dean's shoulder.

Sophie took her time getting ready knowing that the boys would take much longer. There were eleven of them and only about five showers. She knew that she had what seemed like all the time in the world.

After she finished brushing through her hair, Sophie made her way out of the showers and back into the main area of the locker room. When she spotted half of the boys in there were shirtless, she rolled her eyes and made her way back to her locker.

"God put on some shirts. If we wanted to see this many shirtless guys we'd go to the beach," Sophie said as she shoved her hairbrush into her bag.

Some of the boys rolled their eyes before slipping on their shirts. Sophie continued to organize her locker and her bag realizing that the boys were taking longer than normal. They probably spent most of their time complaining instead of actually getting ready. As the girl stood facing her locker, she felt a pair of arms wrap around her torso.

"Hi," Dean smiled as he held Sophie against his chest.

Sophie smiled as she looked up at the boy before turning back to her locker and stuffing her bag back inside. As the couple waited for the rest of the team to finish up changing, Dean leaned against the lockers with Sophie leaning into him.

•••

Once the movie was over Dean woke up his girlfriend who had fallen asleep before the previews had even started. Sophie pouted when she opened her eyes, not wanting to wake up.

"If you can walk outside, I'll carry you to the bus," Dean told the girl who nodded and stood up.

Sophie followed the rest of the team, besides Adam who had been taken to get his wrist checked out, to the exit of the theater. Kenny walked beside her and talked animatedly about the movie, knowing that the girl had no idea he was talking about. He had been the one to point out to Dean that the girl was asleep not even five minutes after they had gotten seated.

"And that plot twist! What was your favorite part Soph?"

"The part where I was asleep the entire time," the brunette answered as she yawned.

Kenny laughed as he took his and Sophie's trash, throwing it into the bin outside of the theater. Dean came over to the two along with Fulton and bent down in front of Sophie. The girl gladly jumped onto the boy's back, a smile spreading on her face.

Fulton smiled at his sister when she sent him an overdramatic wink. He watched as the couple smiled at each other and were the happiest he had seen them this entire trip. He let the smile drop from his face as the team began to make their way outside and to the bus.