𝗍 𝗐 𝖾 𝗇 𝗍 𝗒 - 𝗌 𝖾 𝗏 𝖾 𝗇

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

❝ i'm seeing kids standing tall ❞

•••

When Sophie woke up, she quickly got up to get ready. She quickly took a shower before putting on one of the robes that were provided for them. When she walked out of the bathroom, she saw that Connie was awake and so the two helped each other pick out their outfits for the day. Connie picked out jeans to go over fishnets, one of Dean's band t-shirts and his flannel for Sophie who absolutely adored the outfit.

"This is actually perfect. Connie you are a genius," Sophie praised as she picked up the shirts.

"Thanks," the girl giggled. "You just look absolutely amazing in grunge outfits so I figured it'd be a safe choice."

Sophie showed Connie the outfit she had picked out for her which consisted of a white t-shirt to wear under a red and black dress along with fishnets. Connie smiled before suggesting that they both wear their matching Doc Martens. The two hadn't realized until last week that they both had the same pair of boots after a big mix-up.

"We should become personal stylists one day," Connie joked as the two picked up their outfits.

"We really should."

Connie went to the bathroom to change while Sophie changed in the room. The girl wondered where Julie had gone but brushed it off as she finished getting dressed. Connie walked out of the bathroom a few moments later and the two girls smiled at each other.

"I have literally no pictures with you from this trip besides group photos. Can we have someone take a picture of us? I like to scrapbook," Connie asked as she gestured to the camera on the desk.

"That'd be awesome. Can we take a few actually? I really need some too," Sophie said as she finished slipping on her boots.

"Of course. Let's go find someone from the team. First person we see has to take the picture," Connie winked and the two left their room after grabbing their keys.

The two walked down the hallways, trying to find anyone from their team. They spotted Dwayne rounding the corner, walking towards them, and smiled. The pair ran up to the lone boy and asked him to take a few pictures of them to which the boy agreed.

He was glad that they had asked him to as he still felt that at times he didn't really fit in with the rest of the team. He felt like he was the odd one out when he didn't understand references the others made or because he spoke differently than the others.

After Dwayne took a handful of photos for the two girls, Connie insisted that he take a few with each girl as well. She wanted to document their trip and this was the best and quickest way she knew how. She was also trying to take as much time as possible so that the others could finalize all the details for the party that her, Julie, Guy, and Adam were planning in case they won today's game. They wanted it to be a surprise for the rest of the team with only them four and Miss McKay knowing about it.

Once the three were tired of taking pictures, they decided to take the photos back to their rooms before meeting at the elevator to meet up with a few others in the lounge area. As they walked into the lounge room, Averman, Goldberg and Jesse dragged them to play foosball with them, resulting in them to be squished in a three versus three of the game.

"Don't you dare score, Reed!" Averman yelled at Sophie who laughed loudly.

"Screw you Lester I just did!"

"That's it Sophie. We're wrestling right here right now. Let's go," the redhead joked as he looked across the foosball table at her.

"Alright let's go," the girl steps away from the table with a smile.

The other four hockey players were laughing at the pair as the started to attempt to take down the other. Sophie managed to get behind Averman and pulled him into a headlock. Connie and Dwayne cheered the girl on before booing when she let go of the ginger.

"Where the hell did you learn how to do that?" Averman asked as he turned around to look at the brunette.

"Fulton is literally my brother. When we were little, I was the person who he wrestled and play fought with," Sophie laughed. "It pissed our dad off when we wrestled so you did it as often as we could."

The six quickly threw themselves back into their game of foosball as they waited for the time to pass. They were all trying to distract themselves from the anxiety of their championship game. All of them quickly grew bored of the game and decided to try their turn at a board game. As Monopoly was the only game available at the time, the six decided to play that. It ended with Jesse and Goldberg throwing money at each other and Connie and Sophie having to break up their argument.

"Alright let's just go get our things ready to meet up for lunch. One last team meal before our last game," Dwayne said once all the game pieces and Monopoly money was put away.

"Meet at the entrance in fifteen?" Sophie asked.

"Deal," Jesse said and they were all off on their ways.

•••

The entire team with the exception of Adam were in the locker room, changing for their game. He had also been missing from their team lunch which made Sophie extremely worried and anxious. Endless thoughts about what could have happened to him swirled around her head as she shrugged on her pads.

The locker room doors opening caught her attention, making her snap her head towards them. Adam walked through the door wearing a smile which Sophie took as a good sign.

"I woke up and the pain was gone," Adam spoke excitedly as he twisted his hockey stick and wrist around.

The team cheered for him as they all knew how much this competition meant to the boy. Sophie's smile faltered when she noticed the look Bombay was giving the blonde.

"Adam, I'm sorry. We already have a full roster."

Everyone began looking around at each other, some of the team looking towards Russ as he was the extra person. The boy made a grab to take off his jersey and Sophie was about to speak up when Charlie stopped Russ.

"He can have my spot."

Adam looked over at Charlie, shocked as the Conway boy walked towards him. Adam stared at Charlie as the boy looked to their coach.

"It's what I can do for the team," Charlie said before turning to Adam. "Let me do it."

Adam set his hand on Charlie's shoulder and the shorter boy held onto Adam's arm for a moment until Bombay turned to them.

"Charlie, I need you on the bench coaching right there with me."

The team cheered and Sophie sent Russ a smile as he looked around at the team he had grown close to.