𝖿 𝗈 𝗎 𝗋

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗙𝗢𝗨𝗥

❝ love at first sight's for suckers at least it used to be ❞

•••

"SHIT."

"Sophie what happened this time?" Kenny asked as he walked out from behind his locker. "Seriously? Again?"

"It's not my fault my hair is like this," Sophie sighed.

Sophie had gotten her hair stuck in her locker. This was surprisingly not the first time it's happened. It also wasn't the fifth, or even tenth time. Sophie gave a nervous smile to Kenny hoping he would help her.

"You know I think I hear something coming from my locker. I think I should check it," Kenny smirked at the girl.

"Kenny don't you dare! Ken Wu you get back here right now!" Sophie yelled as Kenny ran to the other side of the locker room.

"Sorry I can't hear you!" Kenny yelled back.

Dean had pick just this moment to enter the locker room after snapping at Sophie. He looked up as he heard Sophie muttering a soft "ow" from her locker. Dean softly smiled while shaking his head at the girl. He made his way over to her and opened the locker door before the girl could say anything to him.

"Look I'm sorry about earlier. I guess I just don't like people figuring me out before I can even figure myself out," Dean said as he scratched the back of his neck while looking down into the girl's eyes.

"It's whatever. But you don't just get to snap at people whenever you feel like it. It doesn't matter who you are, just because someone is wanting to help you doesn't mean you can be rude. Thanks for the help but I have to go," Sophie looked up at the boy. "Kenny let's go!"

Sophie left the locker room to go put her things in the car. The short boy came out from behind his own locker and looked to Dean. Kenny had a smile on his face as Dean looked down at him.

"She's totally into you just so you know," Kenny said before exiting the locker room.

Dean sat in front of his locker to think. How could she be into him if she barely knew him? Plus most of the time she would roll her eyes at him and she literally just told him off. How could she possibly be interested in him?

The boy shook the thoughts from his head and got ready to leave. He packed his stuff quickly once he had changed and headed to the car that was waiting for him. He put his bag inside the trunk before hoping into the passenger side of the car. His driver took him to the hotel the recruits were staying at and he went to his room for the night.

Eventually the boy grew hungry so he went to the elevator and went to the lobby where he exited the hotel. He walked down to the streets of Minnesota and took in the area around him. As he walked into a diner, he spotted Sophie alone at the counter. The girl was looking over the menu in front of her with her hand under her chin, holding it up.

"Twice in one day. Do you think it's fate?" Dean joked as he took a seat beside the brunette girl.

"I think my fate lies in a vanilla milkshake and fries," Sophie said not looking up from her menu. She did however have a smile smile on her lips.

"I would be happy to buy you those tonight," Dean offered as he took a look at the menu his teammate was holding.

"Is that little Sophie?" Casey Conway smiled brightly as she spotted the girl.

"Hello Ms. Conway. How have you been?" Sophie practically beamed at the sight of the waitress. Seeing the woman often was one of the many things the teen missed about her home town.

"I've been good. How about you? What are you doing back? And who's this young man with you?" Casey asked the girl.

"I've been well. I was asked to join Team USA with Charlie and them. This is one of the other new team members, Dean Portman. We both just so happened to run into each other here."

Casey softly smiled at the boy before taking their orders and leaving the two. Dean was about to speak up again when a man interrupted them. He walked up behind Sophie and side hugged her making her notice his presence.

"Dad, you made it," Sophie said as she stood up to hug the man. Dean watched as the two embraced and then took their seats. "Dad this is one of my teammates, Dean. Dean this is Fulton and I's father."

"Pleasure to meet you sir," Dean smiled as he stuck his hand out for the girl's father to shake.

The man seemed unhappy with the boy's presence. Instead of shaking Dean's hand, the man turned his attention back to his daughter and spoke to her.

"So you're playing another boy sport huh?" He asked his daughter and smiled as Casey set down Sophie's milkshake and a water for the man.

"Well hockey is a co-ed sport Dad."

"Sure but I don't see why you would choose hockey over something more suited for girls like volleyball," the man spoke before sipping his water.

"I enjoy hockey and being able to skate around the ice. It's more enjoyable then sitting and watching Fulton play football all the time," Sophie mentioned, thinking of all the times she was forced to watch her brother play a sport he didn't enjoy.

Dean sat awkwardly as he listened to Sophie's father criticize her passion. He didn't care who you are, you shouldn't belittle someone else's hobby and passion in Dean's opinion. Especially if it's someone you're supposed to care about.

"Let's drop the subject. How are your grades? I haven't heard much about your schooling since you left."

"I have mostly A's with the exception of the occasional B plus," Sophie stated proudly as she sipped on her milkshake.

"I guess that'll do. It's not straight A's like when you lived here but I don't have much of a say do I?" Her father chuckled trying to diffuse any tension.

Casey brought out Dean's milkshake along with the fries the two teens ordered. The two thanked the woman before she walked away. Dean smiled at Sophie and motioned for her to take the first fry. She grabbed a few and dipped one in her milkshake before putting it in her mouth.

Eventually after a few minutes of very awkward conversation, Sophie's father said goodbye and left the diner. Sophie sighed in relief as soon as the door shut behind her father. He was exhausting for her to be around due to the fact that he never failed to make her feel less of herself. Dean noticed her discomfort and tried to cheer her up.

"I've met your father so we're pretty much engaged," Dean joked to the girl as he grabbed another fry from the plate.

"I don't see a ring," Sophie smirked before returning to sipping on her milkshake.

"So you're a smart girl?" Dean chuckled as he looked at her. Sophie shrugged her shoulders with a small smile as she picked up another fry.

The two eventually finished their fries and milkshakes before they paid their tab. Sophie and Dean argued for a minute before she finally let him pay. After hugging Casey goodbye, Sophie led Dean out of the diner and onto the street. As they made their way back to the hotel, Dean admired Sophie from the corner of his eye.

"Thank you," Dean said as they passed multiple stores.

"For what?" Sophie smiled up at the taller boy.

"For giving me a chance when everyone else thinks I'm some bully."

"Well consider it my good deed for the day," Sophie winked as Dean opened the hotel lobby door for her.

The two said goodnight and left for the rooms they were staying in.