Chapter 3

It was again early when (Y/n) awoke, and she was confused as to why she had Strider's cloak over her body. Lifting herself up off the ground, she let it drop to the floor and picked it up, holding it against herself. She looked to see Strider collecting their things to continue their journey. Luckily, none of the hobbits were awake yet, so she walked over to his side, holding out his cloak.

"I, uh, I believe this is yours?" she said.

Strider looked at her and nodded, taking it back to put on his shoulders once more. "You seemed cold." he said, and before she could respond, he continued. "Wake them up. We must be going."

(Y/n) sighed and went to wake the little folk up, who all groaned at the time, and the fact that their backs were sore from sleeping on the ground and not in a nice, warm bed. They did, at some point, rise, and Strider led them on their way once more.

After a long day of their journey, they came to a large valley, full of rocks and boulders that made their journey difficult. Ahead, (Y/n) could make out the shape of a man-made structure that sat atop a large mesa.

"This was the great watchtower of Amon Sûl. We shall rest here tonight." Strider claimed as they began their trek upwards.

Once they reached the top, the hobbits all collapsed in exhaustion, breathing heavily and dropping their bags. The clouds covered the darkening sky as the sun set. Strider dropped four daggers on the ground and handed them to the hobbits.

"These are for you. Keep them close." he told them. "I'm going to have a look around. Stay here."

"Wait!" (Y/n) called as Strider walked away. He turned back to her, confused. "Let me come as well."

"No, stay and protect the little ones." He told her. "They need you to."

"You don't know what you might face out there. I can help you." (Y/n) urged.

"No!" Strider stated, more assertively. (Y/n) almost took a step backwards, but resisted. "Just keep them safe." He then walked away, leaving the girl to walk back up the hill.

(Y/n) had been getting more and more tired lately. Its not that she wasn't used to long journeys, she'd been travelling her whole life. It was something illusive. Something she could not discover the reason for. When she reached the hobbits once more, Frodo was asleep, and the other three seemed to be engaged in conversation, which ended once she arrived.

"Oh, no. Don't stop on my behalf." she said, sitting back down, leaning her head against the rock. She felt that strange wave rush over her again, and drifted into a deep sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Oh, my tomato's burst."

"Could I have some bacon?"

"Want a tomato, Sam?"

(Y/n)'s body finally allowed her to awaken, only to see Sam, Pippin and Merry feasting, a fire set in between the three of them.

"What are you doing?!" Frodo shouted.

"Tomatoes, sausages, nice crispy bacon." Merry claimed.

"We saved some for you two." Sam stated, but Frodo scrambled out of his bed to stomp on the flames.

"Put it out, you fools! Put it out!!" he cried as he stepped on the hot flames.

"That's nice! Ash on my tomatoes!" Pippin complained. (Y/n) waved her hand and the fire went out, but it was too late.

The screech of the Nazgûl echoed throughout the dark of the night. (Y/n) looked at the terrified hobbits' faces, and quickly got up, drawing her short sword.