Chapter 15

The children, Éothain and Freda, were quickly healed and fed, eating as if the soup in front of them would disappear if they didn't. (Y/n) sat with Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas as Éowyn spoke to Théoden, who sat in his throne with Gandalf at his side.

"They had no warning. They were unarmed. Now the Wild Men are moving through the Westfold, burning as they go. Rick, cot and tree."

"Where is Mama?" Freda asked, and Éowyn hushed her softly, placing a blanket over her shoulders.

"This is but a taste of the terror that Saruman will unleash." Gandalf said to a weary Théoden. "All the more potent for he is driven now by fear of Sauron. Ride out an meet him head-on. Draw him away from your women and children. You must fight."

"You have two-thousand good men riding north as we speak." Aragorn voiced, his pipe in hand. "Éomer is loyal to you. His men will return and fight for their king."

Théoden stood, saying, "They will be three hundred leagues from here by now. Éomer cannot help us. I know what it is you want of me, but I will not bring further death to my people. I will not risk open war."

"Open war is upon you, whether you would risk it or not." Aragorn said.

Théoden turned from Gandalf and looked to the ranger. (Y/n) sighed as he said, "When last I looked, Théoden, not Aragorn, was king of Rohan." When Gimli burped after taking a drink of ale, the girl threw a piece of cheese at him, giving him a sharp look.

"Then what is the king's decision?" Gandalf asked.

"We ride to Helm's Deep." he said, and turned to Háma. "Tell the people, we must set out as soon as possible." Turning, he left the room and a disgruntled Gandalf.

Leaving the castle, they heard Háma give the order to the people of Edoras, telling them to bring only what they needed. (Y/n) walked beside Aragorn and Gandalf as they made for the stables where Shadowfax was.

"Helm's Deep!" Gimli scoffed. "They flee to the mountains when they should stand and fight! Who will defend them if not their king?"

"He's only doing what he thinks is best for his people. Helm's Deep has saved them in the past." Aragorn said as they entered the stables.

"There is no way out of that ravine. Théoden is walking into a trap. He thinks he's leading them to safety. What they will get is a massacre." Gandalf said as he neared Shadowfax. "Théoden has a strong will, but I fear for him. I fear for the survival of Rohan. He will need you before the end, Aragorn. The people of Rohan will need you. The defenses have to hold."

"They will hold." Aragorn ensured, and looked to (Y/n), who nodded.

"The Grey Pilgrim. That's what they used to call me." Gandalf said as he stroked Shadowfax's mane.

"It's what I first called you when I ran into you." (Y/n) recalled, a smile upon her face.

Gandalf chuckled at the memory, remembering when the young teenager had bumped into him, running from the Wild Men with their dogs. "Indeed, my dear (Y/n). Three hundred lives of men I've walked this earth, and now I have no time." Aragorn opened the gate to Shadowfax's stable as Gandalf climbed on the horse. "With luck, my search will not be in vain. Look to my coming at first light on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East."

"Go." Aragorn said, and Gandalf kicked Shadowfax into a gallop, running out of the stables and Edoras.

While in the stables, Aragorn and (Y/n) heard a commotion nearby, and looked to see a beautiful brown horse rearing back angrily, two men trying to keep it down with rope attached to its harness. Aragorn set down a saddle he was carrying.