Chapter 13

When (Y/n) stepped into the forest, she removed the circlet the elves gave her and placed it upon her head. If she had to, she would use her powers to return Merry and Pippin to safety. Aragorn, watching her with her crown, and thought her to be beautiful. A crown for one worthy of being a queen, yet who couldn't see it.

Gimli found a black substance dripping from a few leaves. He dipped his fingers in it and tasted it, spitting it out almost immediately. "Orc blood." he informed, and followed the others deeper into the forest.

Aragorn was looking down at the large imprints in the ground. He knew of nothing that could create such tracks. "These are strange tracks." he said.

"The air is so close in here." Gimli said.

"This forest is old. Very old." Legolas said as he gazed through the trees.

(Y/n), feeling something from within the trees, lifted her hand, red magic seeping through, and placed it upon the trunk of one of the trees. "The magic of this forest is ancient and powerful. Full... of memory... and anger." she whispered, her eyes closed as she felt the trees. They had life beyond what a normal plant would have.

Around them, the trees began creaking and groaning, startling (Y/n) away from the trunk of the one she had her hand on. They looked around as the trees made these noises, Gimli raising his axe in fear of what was around them.

"The trees are speaking to each other." Legolas said, listening to the moaning of the trees.

"Gimli! Lower your axe." Aragorn said to the dwarf, who looked around before putting it back down.

"They have feelings, my friend." Legolas said to Gimli. "The elves began it, waking up the trees, teaching them to speak."

"Talking trees." Gimli said, a little unimpressed. "What do trees have to talk about, hm? Except the consistency of squirrel droppings." (Y/n) gave a small laugh at his statement. However, her smile dropped when she felt something else nearing them. It was powerful, for sure, but... familiar?

"Aragorn, nad no ennas!" Legolas said, looking through the forest. (Something is out there!)

"Man cenich?"  Aragorn whispered, for whatever it was could be close. (What do you see?)

"The White Wizard approaches." Legolas nodded his head to the right, and (Y/n) released an arrow from her quiver to load in her bow, the elf doing the same. Aragorn placed his hand on his sword, and Gimli held his axe tightly.

"Do not let him speak. He will put a spell on us." Aragorn whispered, drawing part of his sword. "We must be quick."

The four of them whirled around to face the White Wizard, who shined a bright light in their eyes. Gimli threw his axe, and Legolas and (Y/n) fired their bows, but he easily deflected them with his staff. Aragorn's blade grew white hot and burning, and he had to drop it to the ground. (Y/n)'s eyes began to glow red, and she quickly focused a ball of magic in her hands, throwing it at the Wizard. These as well he easily blocked, and the four held up their hands to block the light he emitted.

"You are tracking the footsteps of two young hobbits." The White Wizard stated, his voice like Saruman's, but there was another voice underneath it.

"Where are they?!" Aragorn demanded.

"They passed this way the day before yesterday. They met someone they did not expect. Does that comfort you?"

"Who are you?" (Y/n) demanded.

"Show yourself!"

The light diminished, and the Wizard stepped forward to reveal his face. (Y/n) couldn't believe her eyes. It was Gandalf, but he had white hair and beard now, with a tall white staff and robes. She gasped in shock at his face, putting a hand over her mouth.