Chapter 23

The Domholt Road was certainly eerie, and the grey rock formations rising around them kept them from escaping. They couldn't in the first place. (Y/n) felt... whatever was around them, pushing them forward, forcing them from turning back.

"What do you feel?" Aragorn asked her as she looked around. There was something hiding around them.

"I feel shadows... everywhere..." (Y/n) responded, and his head turned slightly to glance back at her.

"Shadows?"

"Ghosts"

Their nerves grew as they neared the end. She could feel Aragorn remaining brave for the others, including her, but his own fear was shining through. Not for this road, but for the fate of Gondor should they fail.

"What kind of army would linger in such a place?" Gimli asked, looking around.

"One that is cursed." Legolas said. "Long ago, the men of the mountains swore an oath to the last king of Gondor to come to his aid, to fight. But when the time came, when Gondor's need was dire, they fled, vanishing into the darkness of the mountain. And so Isildur cursed them... never to rest until they had fulfilled their pledge." This was why (Y/n) felt the darkness around them. These people were cursed.

"Who shall call them from the grey twilight?" Legolas continued. "The forgotten people. The heir of him to whom the oath they swore. From the north shall he come. Need shall drive him. He shall pass the door to the Paths of the Dead."

They came to a smaller path, one you would be able to see unless you really looked for it. Ahead, they saw a dark opening into the mountain, almost like an open door waiting for them. They got off their horses and began to walk them towards the door.

"The very warmth of my blood seems stolen away." Gimli whispered in fear as he eyed the area around them. Around the door they found, runes were etched into the stone that outlined it. Skulls surrounded the stone.

"The way is shut. It was made by those who are dead. And the Dead keep it. The way is shut." Legolas read. As soon as he did, a wind seemed to blow from inside the door, the creepy sound of breath exhaling from the darkness. To say (Y/n) was afraid would be an understatement, but she kept her head high. They held up their weapons, but their horses were spooked, and ran away. Aragorn called after Brego, but the horse would not return.

"I do not fear death." Aragorn stated, and walked right into the darkness, soon unable to be seen. (Y/n) breathed deeply, gathering her courage and holding her short sword in her hand, she walked through the veil, following her love into the shadows. Legolas watched them both, then quickly followed in after, leaving a gaping Gimli.

"Well, this is a thing unheard-of. An elf will go underground where a dwarf dare not?! Oh... Oh, I'd never hear the end of it!" Gimli sighed and ran in after the other three.

Aragorn found a torch in the darkness of the cave, lighting up his face as he began through the pathway, (Y/n) by his side. Legolas and Gimli were close behind. Aragorn shined the light into an opening, seeing hundreds of skulls. They went down the other path, (Y/n)'s eyes darting around nervously. She had never had connections with the dead, no matter what people thought. She may be a witch, but with necromancy came darkness.

"What is it?" Gimli asked, his axe raised. "What do you see?"

"I see shapes of men. And of horses." Legolas said as they continued.

"Where?"

"Pale banners like shreds of cloud. Spears rise like winter-thickets through a shroud of mist. The Dead are following. They have been summoned."