With you i die too part 2

(One week)

"And so, we send her off to join the spirits," The priest spoke solemnly, his voice like a deep resonating chamber. He held out his hand to the crowd of mourners, "Tonraq, Senna."

A cold wind caused a flurry of snow to kick up, sending its icy blast into my face. I wrapped my arms closer to my body as I watched Tonraq and Senna shuffle forward. Senna's face was buried into Tonraq's thick parka, her shoulders shaking with soft sobs. Tonraq took a deep breath, filling his lungs with the arctic air. Head held high, he showed strength, despite the tracks of frozen tears across his cheeks.

They stopped at the edge of the wooden canoe and the large man seemed to crumple upon seeing his daughters frozen face. He fell forward, hands gripping at the edge. His wife held onto him, their broken cries dying in the wind. I felt myself choking. My chest constricted tight around my heart.

Tonraq managed to pull himself up and placed an ornate bow inside the canoe at Korra's side. Senna inhaled a shaky breath and fingered an ornate carved necklace of a polar bear dog. It must have taken her days to make. From behind me I can hear the whining of Naga who's pulling at her reigns where she is tied. Shes confused and scared. Her cries fill my ears with noise, along with the sobs.

Shut up! Shut up and be quiet! My hands press at my temples and I bite my bottom lip.

Senna places the necklace around Korras neck and steps back, following her husband back to the front of the crowd. The animal carriers bring Naga forward, she's whining and sniffing at the burial canoe. Placing her large paw inside, she presses down on Korra, sniffing her owners face and I hear the crowd gasp.

"Most of you may know Korra as the Avatar. However, she was, and always will be, a warrior of the southern water tribe. She has been blessed." He makes a gesture with his hands of common ritual, "Now, her animal must follow her into the night. Such is a honor that she be watched over and ride her into the spirit world."

Eight soldiers pin Naga down.

"No!" I hear Ikki yell from the crowd, "Naga didn't do anything!" Tenzin had brought his family with him. In attendance were he and his family, Kya, Bumi, and Master Katara.

Kya turns Ikki's face away muttering, "Hush now, little one. Its okay, it's custom. Naga won't be in pain."

I keep my eyes glued to the men as Naga squirms in their grasp but there are too many holding her down. Naga looks at me and I could see the fear in her eyes. She doesn't understand.

A warrior flashes a curved blade from his hip and Naga makes a panicked pant. A solemn prayer is said in a language I don't understand...

Don't look away.

...and the knife runs across the base of Naga's throat. She kicks and paws at the ground in a panic as her lifes blood is spilled from her across the ground. Her tongue lolls from her mouth as she lashes and her eyes flutter closed one last time. I close my eyes as my breath hitches. I can feel the hot tracks of fresh tears falling across my cheeks and my body is hit with a new wave of nausea. I felt my legs buckle before strong hands pull me into their warmth. I look up and Tenzin has me held close to his chest, his hand patting my hair soothingly. Together, all eight drag Naga across the snow and tie her to the raft attached to the end of the burial canoe.

My breath comes out in a shaky sigh. I can hear the priest speaking again but his voice is nothing but a low rumble in my ears. My body feels stiff and cold and I'm not sure if it's from the bite of the southern wind or the void left in my heart. My vision is blurry when I hear my name called and I lift my head from Tenzin's chest. Everyones eyes are on me.