Aniversery

Korra wakes up to sounds of breathing coming from in front of her. She smiles as she opens her eyes, knowing that it's Asami lying next to her in bed. She tightens her grip over the engineer's waist in an attempt to wake her up.

"Hey, babe..." Asami said over her shoulder. "Do you know what day it is today?"

Korra knew exactly what day it was. It was their anniversary. Sixteen months and going strong. She didn't have any plans yet, but wanted to arrange something special.

"Is it... Your birthday?" she said, playing dumb.

"No... Guess again." Asami huffed.

"Is it... Free noodles day at Narook's?"

"No."

"Avatar appreciation day?"

"I can't believe you forgot!" Asami cried as she flew out of bed. Korra panicked and tried to grab her by the arm.

"Wait! Asami, I know that it's our-"

The door slammed shut so fast, Korra's nose skidded against it.

"... Anniversary." she said to the shut door. Korra knew that she screwed up. She hurried to put on some decent clothes and rushed out to find her girlfriend.

As she entered the kitchen, she found Pema making breakfast.

"I'm guessing that you're looking for Asami." she said, not looking up from stirring a pot of porridge.

"Yes. Have you seen her?"

"She was just here. She said that you upset her. Before I could ask anything else, she told me she's going to check on her factory and that she doesn't want to see you right now..."

Korra lowered her head, feeling a sense of guilt eat at her insides.

"I didn't mean to... I knew it was our anniversary. I was just kidding."

Pema looked up with a scowl on her face.

"Shame on you, Korra. That girl was looking forward to today..."

Korra widened her eyes in surprise.

"How did you..."

"She told me yesterday while you were outside training with Tenzin." Pema explained as she scooped out servings of porridge into bowls.

"Breakfast, everyone!" Pema called down the hall. "Let's eat some breakfast first, then we can discuss it."

The kids came running down the hall, each of them plopping down on a seat by the table. Tenzin came shortly after, looking tired as always. Breakfast was as usual. Except for the fact that Korra couldn't eat her bowl of porridge. To think she actually managed to hurt Asami because of her questionable sense of humor. The thought of them breaking up made her sick to her stomach, so much that it was clear to see from the expression on her face.

"Where's Asami?" Ikki asked.

"She... Had to go to work..." Korra replied.

"On your anniversary? Impossible! She said she took off from work just to spend the day with-"

"Enough, Ikki!" Pema roared. The entire table jumped in their seats. Nobody has ever heard the sensitive, caring mother raise her voice. The kids scarved down their meals and disappeared as fast as they could. Even Tenzin followed suit. Korra tried to leave the table unnoticed.

"No, Korra. You stay. We need to talk."

Korra sank down back into her seat. After Pema cleaned up the dinner table, she went to sat down right next to the Avatar, looking slightly intimidating.