Overprotective

It was a rather peaceful day on Air Temple Island. Ikki and the other airbender kids were running around outside, playing tag. Apparently Meelo was "it", which would explain why he struggled to keep up with the other two.

Korra kept an eye on them from the roof. It was her favorite spot to clear her thoughts, not to mention gaze at the intricate landscape that is Republic City. She chuckled as she saw Meelo use a gust of air to propell him onto Ikki's back, forcing her to give him a piggy-back ride.

With the kids running out of sight, something out of the corner of her eye caught her attention. It was Asami, strolling alongside Naga with a ball in her hand. The polar-bear dog seemed to be excited, wagging her tail and taking big strides. Seeing her girlfriend interact with her pet made Korra's heart melt. It was almost like a cuteness overload. She decided to quietly observe, careful not to ruin the moment.

"Okay, Naga..." Asami began. "You want the ball?"

Naga jumped from side to side on her front legs.

"Alright, fetch!" she said as she threw the ball a short distance away. Naga never took her eye off the ball, and followed it with almost the same speed. Meanwhile, Korra never took her eye off of Asami. She ran her hand through her raven-black hair, and flipped it the only way she knew how. That simple gesture made Korra think of how she even deserved such a beauty as her girlfriend. Maybe it's because she's the Avatar. Maybe it's because she saved the world on more than one occasion. Maybe it's because of her muscular appearance. But then she thinks back to when she was confined to a wheelchair. Even in her darkest time, Asami was there for her. Even at her weakest, she never hesitated to help her feel better...

Korra was so lost in her thoughts and memories of Asami taking care of her, that she didn't notice Naga sitting on top of her.

It took a few painful grunts from the flattened engineer to snap Korra out of her trance. Horrified, she nearly faceplanted onto the ground as she scrambled off the roof to help Asami.

"NAGA! No no no! Get off!" She cried as she tried in vain to push her pet off of her girlfriend. Naga was having none of it, chewing on the ball in her mouth as if nothing was happening. Korra managed to lift the polar-bear dog's leg, only to find a laughing Asami.

"She's quite playful, isn't she?" Asami chuckled. Korra froze in confusion despite groaning under the weight of Naga's leg.

Asami wiggled herself out from underneath Naga's crushing weight, allowing Korra to set down what she could pick up of her pet.

"So... You weren't in trouble? That wasn't painful?" Korra asked.

"Of course it was painful. But not really as much as I thought it would be." she replied as she straightened out her hair. She looked up and noticed Korra's eyes darting around on her body.

"Are you sure you're not hurt? No bruises or scratches or anything?" Korra asked as she lifted up Asami's arm to inspect it for any sign of damage.

Asami scrunched her eyebrows together. "You're a little overprotective sometimes, you know." she said sympathetically. The Avatar widened her eyes.

"Am not!"

"Am too."

"Am not!"

"It's kinda cute though."

That seemed to silence Korra as a smirk formed on her face. Asami gave her a quick peck on the cheek.

"Come on, help me get that ball back. I want to throw it onto the roof after what she did." Asami said as she dragged Korra towards Naga.