~Prologue~

A slight chill ran down George's back as he looked out at the protection spell forming a blockade around Hogwarts. It was an odd feeling, he thought. The place where he and Fred had made all their best memories, where they first started their pranking business was now being used as a battleground. It would have been a beautiful night had it not been for the battle, seeing as there were no clouds to block the burning stars from emitting their light. But of course, this was war. There was no time to be admiring the stars.

He stood on a balcony next to Fred, just having casted a protection spell on that section of the castle, and waited for whatever was going to happen next. Both of the twins knew that they needed to get back to the groups they were in charge of in order to guard the secret passages of the school. But as explosions of spells began ricocheting off of the shield-like barrier encompassing Hogwarts, they wordlessly decided to stay a bit longer. George's eyes were trained on the invasion of light bursting in the air, nostalgically comparing them to the fireworks he and Fred set off during their last day at Hogwarts. However, just as much as he was feeling nostalgic, he was equally terrified. He had so much he could lose in such a short amount of time, and while looking over at Fred, he knew he was thinking exactly the same thing.

"You okay, Freddie?" He spoke out, breaking the silence while keeping his eyes trained on the sky.

Fred hesitated for a moment, letting his fears get pushed aside by the comfort of having his brother next to him, before simply responding, "Yeah."

To anyone else, Fred's response may have seemed unbelievable. How could he be okay if there was a war about to rage on? But as George looked at his brother, he couldn't help but agree with his answer. Because, as long as they had each other they would be okay. And at the end of it all, this would be yet another one of their mischiefs that could be added to their list of managed. Just another adventure that he and Fred would tackle, together.

George's anxious demeanor softened a little as his eyes locked onto Fred's, nudging him in the elbow while speaking, "Me too."

It was only when the barrier starting to cave in that Fred and George ran off to their respective guarding posts, passing Peeves on the way there. They quickly glanced at each other before looking up at the poltergeist.

"Oi, Peeves," Fred shouted up at him with his hands cupped around his mouth, a smile tugging at his lips.

George smirked while finishing his sentence, "You already know what to do."

Peeves devilishly cackled his way away from the boys while chanting, "Give them hell!"

The two brothers were now left alone, sharing one last knowing gaze. Without any words needing to be said, Fred pulled George in for a quick, yet tight embrace before parting ways to go to the groups they were assigned to. But little did either of them know, this wordless goodbye would be their last one.

George glanced back at Fred and watched him run down the 7th floor corridor to where he needed to be, a fire of determination burning through him. Even though they would be physically separated tonight, George knew they would be fighting with the same heart. He didn't know how to describe it, but it was as if their souls were two halves of a whole. And, he didn't even want to think about what would happen if those two halves were ripped apart.

So with that in mind, George ran all the way to his group and gripped his wand a little tighter, a smirk forming on his face as he thought, Ready, Fred?

Ready, George. The last sentence that popped into Fred's mind before Death Eaters swarmed into the castle. The battle had begun.

It had been hours since the fighting started, Clover thought. She swiped a piece of her platinum blonde hair, a feature that easily had her falsely confused for a Malfoy relative, out of her face as she shot a stupefy towards a Death Eater that thought they had snuck up on her. All the while, sneaking glances at the dirty-blonde girl fighting behind her.