Chapter 17

"You like him."

Clover rolled her eyes and glared even harder at the boy on the other side of the bar top from her. A slight panic echoed through her chest, but she refused to attach it to any meaning. She shook her head, denying all and any accusations.

"You like him," his smirk grew larger.

Her arms now crossed over her chest as she continued to stare him down. The thought was nauseating to her, her insides bubbling with denial and fear. She couldn't like him, she couldn't like anyone. Love was her villain, always sneaking around and pulling itself right out from under her grip. It had beaten her down, left her bruised too many times that she accepted the fact that she wasn't meant to have a happy ending.  The villain had already won in her story; it did so the exact day that Linny was ripped from her hands. Love was not an option for her.

"No." It's not real, it means nothing...

He thrusted his finger teasingly in front of her face and began exaggerating his words, "You like hi-,"

"I swear on Salazar's grave that I will avada kedavra you, Babs," Clover cut him off, huffing as she pushed his finger away from her face.

"Oi, save all killing for after work," Rory called out as he walked behind Babs, sending him a playful smirk as he continued, "Speaking of which, get your arse moving or I'll call your mum."

Babs' eyes widened momentarily, and a second later he was quickly cleaning the empty pint glasses on the countertop in front of him. Clover snickered under her breath at the urgency instilled in her best friend before receiving a glare from him.

"Still doesn't change the fact you like George," he grumbled under his breath as Clover followed him to the other side of the bar top.

"I don't," she groaned out in denial, her face falling back into a scowl.

The smirk returned on Babs' face while he took someones order, turning back to Clover and speaking with confidence, "Then why are you moving in with him, hmm?"

She once again swallowed the panic that began swelling in her chest, giving him one last glare, "Because it's convenient. That's all it is. I don't like him, I wouldn't put either of us through that."

Babs' teasing stare turned softer and he gently put down the empty tray he had just used to serve drinks, "Clo, why can't you just try to let yourself be happy for-,"

"We're not doing this now," her eyes fell down to her lap and she fidgeted with the hem of her work uniform she had yet to change out of, "Please."

Babs squeezed her hand in understanding and nodded. He didn't push, he didn't pry, he didn't force her to talk about it. She was his best friend, he knew her better than anyone. And, he knew she would come to him when she needed to. There were topics that were off limits for the both of them, ones that barred their deepest fears and left them utterly raw and vulnerable. As Slytherins, they knew better than to leave each other so exposed like that.

"So," she smirked while guiding the conversation away from herself,  "Lee?"

"What about him?" The dark-haired boy hesitated before continuing to wipe down the area in front of him.

She rested her head on her hand and winked at him, "You like-,"

"No. End of conversation."

She laughed at his abruptness and went on to a different topic. The two best friends continued on with their conversation for hours, keeping them busy until the sun had gone down and the moon had taken over the sky. Once Babs' shift had ended, they both headed over to the joke shop where George and Lee were manning the floor.