Chapter 10

She was backed up into a corner in the house that always felt too big for the small family of 4. Family...if you could even call it that. Clover was beyond scared, beyond frightened, but she didn't show it. She refused to let him know he was having any effect on her.

His wand was digging into her neck, harshly and threateningly. She knew there would be a mark on it in the morning; a mental note popped into her head to remind her to cover it. Nobody could know.

Her little sister was safely tucked behind her, the 10 year-old girl vividly shaking with fear. Clover wanted to tell her not to worry, she would never let him touch her. But she couldn't. If she spoke out of line he would surely punish her more harshly.

"Move, you pathetic girl," he growled out, the wand prodding her neck deeper and deeper.

Clover raised her chin definitely and raised an arm out to cover her sister, "She's only 10...s-she doesn't know any better."

"That's exactly why she must learn her lesson," he replied with a sick, twisted smile, "Move."

She would never let him touch her. Her mom's last words playing over in her head. Don't let him hurt her; protect Linny at all costs.

"No," she shook her head fervidly and stood her ground, "I won't let you hurt her."

He chuckled out evilly before moving his wand away from her neck and directly in front of her face, "Then it's you who must learn."

She was scared, so scared. Her eyes fluttered around the room nervously before landing on the familiar blue ones hiding in the background. The ones that belonged to her brother. Clover sent him a pleading look, begging him to do anything to help her. But, he never moved an inch. Her younger brother stayed frozen in his spot, his eyes glued onto hers. Panic.

"Crucio."

Clover abruptly woke up with her heart in her throat, her breaths short and exasperated. She gripped the sheets surrounding her in order to ground herself as her eyes fearfully examined the room she was in. He's not here, she had to remind herself over and over again as she calmed herself down. He's not here...he won't hurt you.

She looked around frantically before remembering where she was: The Burrow, Bill's room to be more exact. Molly had told her since her eldest son moved out that the room could be hers. There were posters of the Ramones and the Romantics draping off the wall, a singular pair of torn up black combat boots next to the dresser, and old fang earrings splattered across the nightstand. Clover knew she could have redecorated a week ago, when Molly brought her here, but she couldn't bring herself to do so. She couldn't shake off the thoughts in her head that were telling her this was just temporary. Home was always temporary for her.

It was almost 5am when she was forced awake, and out of habit, she stood up from the bed. Her mind wouldn't let her go back to sleep; it was always too busy. So, she opted for a cold shower instead. And after that, her feet brought her down to the kitchen, where a singular cup of tea sat waiting on the table as usual. No one was ever around when she would find it there, but somehow she knew it was for her.

It was probably an hour later when she finally heard a voice call out from behind her, "Hey, you're up?"

Clover nodded her head at the familiar voice of Ginny and shot her a small smile once she took the seat next to her. A moment later, another pair of footsteps came gracing down the stairs.

"Good morning," Percy mumbled under his breath, his eyes shooting over towards Ginny and then towards Clover.

His red hair and freckled body may have claimed the older boy as a Weasley, but Clover noticed there was something different about him just within a week of living under the same roof. He was softer, less outspoken, and kept more to himself. It was so unlike the blatant wits of Ginny, or the sarcastic commentary of Ron, or even the sly charm of George. Instead, he walked around with his head hung low and his guard always up. Must've been from the war...