Chapter 9

The weaker tone of voice, the dulled look of the eyes, the tiredness behind the face; Clover wished that signs of the war weren't the first thing she noticed in people. She wanted so badly to force the blonde haired boy out of the shop before he even had a chance to speak, but she couldn't. Not when he too was a victim, no matter what his past was.

"He misses you, Clover," he spoke softly, eyes locked onto hers.

He meant no harm; the sincerity swimming in the clashing blue and grey of his eyes told her so. But after being closed off to her past for so long, she was willing to do anything to keep that part of her memories shut off for good. Her eyes narrowed and her fist tightened by her side, a physical barrier separating her emotions from the boy in front of her.

"Listen here, ferret boy," Babs pointed his finger towards the blonde accusingly, taking an angry and protective stance in front of Clover.

He was going to continue, but was cut off when the other boy spoke again.

"Nice to see you too, Babs," he rolled his eyes and glanced at him before looking back at Clover, "I'm not here to cause trouble...just trying to help a friend. Hear me out."

She didn't want to hear him out, she wanted to magically shut his mouth and avoid the conversation she knew she was about to let happen. But despite the anxiety and fear and emotions spinning through her head, Clover's curiosity outweighed it all. She wanted to know what he had to say, and why he was the one coming to say it.

Babs opened his mouth to snap at him, but Clover stepped up and put an arm on his shoulder, "It's fine."

Her best friend nodded his head, yet still sent her a cautious stare, as she walked over to the door and put up a 'Out for lunch' sign. Swallowing down her anxiety, she turned around and glared at the boy.

"Speak, Draco, " she said abruptly, her arms angrily crossing over her chest.

He nodded his head in acknowledgment before beginning to say why he had came in the first place, "I told you, he misses you. I wouldn't be here if he wasn't desperate to see you again. That prat practically forced me to find you and talk to you."

Her face went completely cold and stern, stealing the warmth from the entire room just as it was stolen from her childhood. It was a sobering feeling that ran over her as the words fell from his lips, even if she partially expected them. She closed her eyes for a moment, but snapped them open when she saw his eyes robbing her of her own sanity. Anger and rage and everything she never got to let out took over her.

"And why the fuck should I want to hear anything he has to say?" She seethed out to the younger Slytherin.

Draco's face never flinched, never looked shocked at her vulgarity, never moved an inch from how it was a moment ago. Clover knew that if he has learned anything from growing up the way he did, it was how to hide any fear or emotions. She knew because she was raised the same way; they were sculpted in the same perfect design. And no matter what any one had said, she would always have a soft spot for the blonde boy. He was more like her than either of them wanted to admit, just trying to dismantle that perfect design they were supposed to be. The difference was that Clover had Linny, she had light no matter where she went. Draco didn't. And perhaps that's why she continued to hear him out.

His face dropped noticeably and his eyes genuinely stared into hers, "Because he's trying to make it right."

"He can't," she locked her jaw as Babs slipped his hand into hers for support, squeezing it to let her know he's there.

The blonde boy visibly shifted on his feet and fidgeted with his fingers, an unfamiliar trait he must have picked up after the war. He was so unlike himself, so unlike the way she used to see him be. He was no longer arrogant or outspoken or even confident in the way he held himself. It was as if the war stripped him of everything he's ever known, or as if it finally let him show his true colors. Clover wouldn't have known, though. The last time she had spoken to the boy was 7 years ago; so much has changed.