Chapter 16

Urgency. She needed to get them out.

"Linny, pack up as much as you can. Make it fast, go now."

She threw an empty bag charmed with an undetectable extension at her younger sister. Her fingers were crossed as she began tossing Linny's belongings in the bag, hoping the spell she had just learned the previous week would hold up well enough.

"W-what do you mean pack up?! Where are we going? Why are we leaving, Clo?" a 12-year-old Linnea innocently questioned, her eyes widened with confusion while watching her sister tear through her room.

"Linny, come on! Pack, now! There is no time for explaining, I'll tell you when we're gone," Clover begged her sister.

The younger girl shook her head in shock and stood in place, "No, Clo. Why are we leaving? W-what's happening? I won't go, we have no where to-,"

"He knows."

Clover stopped running around and placed a urgent hand on Linny's shoulder, "He knows you've been sorted into Hufflepuff. I don't know how and I don't know who told him, but we both know what will happen to you once he sees you."

Linny's lip started quivering, but she stopped it just enough to brokenly let out, "Maybe nothing will change, maybe he'll understand I'm not like him.

Clover sighed and put down the bag, quickly yet thoroughly trying to make her sister comprehend the urgency behind her plan, "Lin, neither of us are like him...them. It doesn't matter whether he knows or not. No one deserves to be treated like this, especially not you. I won't let him touch you, but he's stronger than both of us. We're not safe anymore, puff. This is our only chance to get out of here without him catching us."

The older girl glanced down at her watch and checked the time. They only had 10 more minutes before he would be home.

"Linny, please," her voice was no longer authoritative, but rather pleading.

She nodded and quickly paced around her own room, throwing anything and everything into the bag. With two minutes to spare, both girls snuck down to the fireplace and grabbed a handful of floo powder.

A voice echoing from behind them caused them both to freeze in place, "You're leaving?"

Clover turned around and shot their brother, half-brother she reminded herself in order to feel less bad about what they had to do, a pointed look. Sadness flushed through his eyes, followed by anger, and replaced one more time only to be left with fear.

That was the day Clover finally decided to not let fear rule her life.

She grabbed Linny's hand and threw down the floo powder, the two girls landing in the middle of The Leaky Cauldron. It was the only place that came to mind at the moment. A second later, the coldness of night crept down their spines as the two sisters snuck over to an empty alleyway.

There was a moment of silence before the storm came. Linny looked over at her sister and let out the tears she had been holding back, gripping onto her tightly and mumbling out her name.

"Clover, I'm scared."

"Clover."

"C-Clover."

"Clover."

She was jolted awake a familiar voice and a strong grip shaking her body.

"Oh good, she's alive," her eyes blinked open to meet the stare of a messy-haired, spectacled, scarred boy.